Man jailed for possessing axe, knife, knuckle duster and drugs
- Credit: Archant
A man found with an axe, knife and knuckle-duster in a busy town centre has been jailed for 13 months.
Ben Rider, 35, was reported to police by a concerned member of the public on November 5 last year after they saw a 'bizarre handle' poking from his pocket.
As two officers approached him in Wisbech Market Place, Rider attempted to flee but was restrained and arrested. During a search, police uncovered the weapons along with class A and B drugs.
In interview, Rider claimed he knew it was an offence to carry the weapons but it was only for show.
Rider of Follens Road, Walpole St Andrew, near King's Lynn, admitted charges of possessing an offensive weapon in public, resisting arrest and possession of class A and B drugs. He was jailed for 13 months at Peterborough Crown Court.
You may also want to watch:
PC Harley Smart said: 'Regardless of whether or not Rider intended to use the weapons, he broke the law and distressed a member of the public in the process.
'I would like to commend the quick-thinking member of the public who alerted officers and hope this sentencing will serve as a reminder of the consequences of carrying weapons'
- 1 'Too close to home': Neighbours' shock as body found at Mousehold Heath
- 2 Which? warning to avoid sun cream brand for children
- 3 Poultry company owner says food industry is at 'crisis point'
- 4 Chicken restaurant closes 'due to unforeseen circumstances'
- 5 Lifeboat crew rescues three girls out to sea on lilos
- 6 Noise investigation launched after works leave houses 'tremoring'
- 7 What are the top 10 new shops opening in Norwich?
- 8 New beauty salon and massage rooms open at country club
- 9 'Like an invasion' - locals speak out over five-day festival
- 10 'Cold and desolate' - Anne Robinson's Countdown jibe at Norfolk