Man jailed for possessing axe, knife, knuckle duster and drugs
- Credit: Archant
A man found with an axe, knife and knuckle-duster in a busy town centre has been jailed for 13 months.
Ben Rider, 35, was reported to police by a concerned member of the public on November 5 last year after they saw a 'bizarre handle' poking from his pocket.
As two officers approached him in Wisbech Market Place, Rider attempted to flee but was restrained and arrested. During a search, police uncovered the weapons along with class A and B drugs.
In interview, Rider claimed he knew it was an offence to carry the weapons but it was only for show.
Rider of Follens Road, Walpole St Andrew, near King's Lynn, admitted charges of possessing an offensive weapon in public, resisting arrest and possession of class A and B drugs. He was jailed for 13 months at Peterborough Crown Court.
You may also want to watch:
PC Harley Smart said: 'Regardless of whether or not Rider intended to use the weapons, he broke the law and distressed a member of the public in the process.
'I would like to commend the quick-thinking member of the public who alerted officers and hope this sentencing will serve as a reminder of the consequences of carrying weapons'
- 1 Welcome to our new website
- 2 Would you know what to do if your car hit a deer?
- 3 What was ‘strange stretched circle’ spotted over Norfolk skies?
- 4 Whale washes up off Norfolk coast
- 5 MPs call for Norfolk to be in own coronavirus tier
- 6 Encouraging signs as Covid infection rates plummet in parts of Norfolk
- 7 Plea for help to trace missing heavily pregnant woman
- 8 Four men caught at £2m Norfolk cannabis factory
- 9 Missing pregnant woman found
- 10 More than 50 pupils sent home after student tests positive