Cricket club holds annual fete as members bid to raise £160,000 for new clubhouse
- Credit: Archant
Plans to build a new clubhouse for Hales and Loddon Cricket Club have been given the green light.
And with fundraising now under way, it will be holding its annual fete this weekend.
For years the club, which runs both adult and youth teams, has had a passion to make cricket accessible for all. But chairman Peter Dye says their temporary clubhouse makes it impossible to offer cricket to players who are less able or those with disabilities, as the current facilities fall below the standard required to meet those needs.
Mr Dye said: 'As a club we pride ourselves on making sure there is a place in our club for everyone, but with the current lack of disabled facilities for instance, this has limited our ability to do this.
'We are passionate about offering everyone a chance to join in the fun and we have the coaches and the team to do exactly that – but until now haven't had the proper base to do this, despite our wonderful ground.
You may also want to watch:
'The future is very exciting for our community now and we would be grateful to anyone who wants to join our dream.'
The clubhouse, which will cost around £160,000, will include home, away and umpires dressing rooms, team, visitors and disabled toilets, a club room and a bar and kitchen.
- 1 Man dies after medical emergency on beach
- 2 Man arrested on suspicion of drink and drug driving after fatal crash
- 3 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143
- 4 'Never seen anything like it' - Norfolk Christmas shopping frenzy has begun
- 5 'Glagoon' returns to Norfolk beach and locals are loving it
- 6 Gilmour advised to quit City for Rangers loan return
- 7 Father and son admit handling stolen power tools
- 8 Caravan catches fire in Norwich
- 9 Norfolk roadworks to be aware of this week
- 10 Family pays tribute to man killed after collision with double-decker bus
The club received planning permission from South Norfolk Council last month to go ahead with the clubhouse, and now their dreams are finally in sight members are more determined than ever to raise the funds.
Their third annual fete is at the Hales Green base off the A146 on Sunday, July 2.
Entertainment will include the East Anglian Star Wars Club, Waggytails dog agility team, live music, tug of war, displays in the main ring and a barbecue and bar. There will also be a special appearance by Norwich City Football Club captain Russell Martin.
The day runs from noon to 5pm, and more details are available at www.facebook.com/halesandloddon
The club thanks Parklands Financial Advisers Ltd for sponsoring the main ring.