Crash, bang, wallop – what a picture! Morris 8 ‘parked’ against tree
- Credit: supplied by Mike Healey
Mike Healey's was broken hearted when his first car, a 1935 Morris 8, came to a sorry end in a confrontation with a tree.
I was born in Norwich – I now live in St Ives, Cambridgeshire – and have a tale to tell.
I hope it gets into print because it will be testimony to my brother, who still lives in Norwich, and was instrumental in my first car ownership. It was an unwanted trade-in at the garage where he worked at the time.
My first car was a 1935 Morris 8 which cost me £5, acquired in 1963.
My brother upgraded it with parts from a 1938 model, which included sealed-beam headlamps, easy-clean wheels and also fitted a huge 'Brooklands' spoked steering wheel.
During my ownership it required a new road spring and cylinder head, but always started first time and never let me down.
Sadly, I parked it against a tree near Loddon some 10 months later. My girlfriend, now my wife, and I escaped without serious injury. It was a brilliant little car and left me broken hearted.
- 1 Case of Omicron Covid variant confirmed in north Norfolk
- 2 'Squatter' couple become legal owners of land as saga continues
- 3 Norfolk college named best secondary school in the UK
- 4 Confusion as people in Norfolk mistakenly turn up for booster jab
- 5 Woman with scissors said she wanted to murder someone at supermarket
- 6 Shocking footage appears to show £100m Marham jet crashing off carrier
- 7 Man charged with drink driving after crash at police station
- 8 Waste carrier fined £1,900 after metal and containers found in woodland
- 9 Norfolk Labour website tells people not to vote for party
- 10 6 ice rinks to visit in Norfolk and Suffolk this Christmas
The photographs depict its plight and that's me and my girlfriend the next day looking forlornly at the wreck.
Do you have some tales to tell about your first car? The adventures, scrapes, breakdowns, mishaps and maintenance just to keep it on the road. Email your motoring memories with a picture of the car to firstname.lastname@example.org or post it to Andy Russell, motoring editor, Prospect House, Rouen Road, Norwich, NR1 1RE.