Crash, bang, wallop – what a picture! Morris 8 ‘parked’ against tree
- Credit: supplied by Mike Healey
Mike Healey's was broken hearted when his first car, a 1935 Morris 8, came to a sorry end in a confrontation with a tree.
I was born in Norwich – I now live in St Ives, Cambridgeshire – and have a tale to tell.
I hope it gets into print because it will be testimony to my brother, who still lives in Norwich, and was instrumental in my first car ownership. It was an unwanted trade-in at the garage where he worked at the time.
My first car was a 1935 Morris 8 which cost me £5, acquired in 1963.
My brother upgraded it with parts from a 1938 model, which included sealed-beam headlamps, easy-clean wheels and also fitted a huge 'Brooklands' spoked steering wheel.
You may also want to watch:
During my ownership it required a new road spring and cylinder head, but always started first time and never let me down.
Sadly, I parked it against a tree near Loddon some 10 months later. My girlfriend, now my wife, and I escaped without serious injury. It was a brilliant little car and left me broken hearted.
- 1 Escape to the Country names 'north Norfolk's seaside capital'
- 2 Pretty thatched cafe business on Broads for sale for £75,000
- 3 The areas where Covid rates have fallen the fastest since lockdown began
- 4 Anger as woodland used as 'playground and dustbin'
- 5 'We're all shocked' - Butchers shop attacked by vandals
- 6 'Small number' of staff at town's Tesco test positive for Covid-19
- 7 Shock as cannabis factory found in quiet Broads' village
- 8 Giant Victorian underground reservoir marks supplying city for 150 years
- 9 Report into woman's murder by jealous ex: 'Employers must do more'
- 10 Homes plan to be revealed for former infant school
The photographs depict its plight and that's me and my girlfriend the next day looking forlornly at the wreck.
Do you have some tales to tell about your first car? The adventures, scrapes, breakdowns, mishaps and maintenance just to keep it on the road. Email your motoring memories with a picture of the car to email@example.com or post it to Andy Russell, motoring editor, Prospect House, Rouen Road, Norwich, NR1 1RE.