Council approves Beccles Public Hall transfer
Beccles Public Hall is set to be run by Beccles Lido after Waveney District Council's cabinet agreed to transfer ownership of the hall to the charitable group.
The charity, which rejuvenated the town's open air swimming pool, is likely to take over the hall in the next few weeks after the move was approved on Tuesday night.
The council has invested heavily in the hall, in Smallgate, in the past decade, but with further investment required on structural issues and general refurbishment, it has been looking to find an owner to protect the hall for the community.
It was felt that Beccles Lido had the skills and ability to develop and operate the facility after transforming the outdoor swimming pool.
Stephen Ardley, Waveney's cabinet member for operational partnerships, said: 'We have spoken at great length to the people of Beccles to establish what they want from the hall and it is clear that the Beccles Lido group will be able to deliver exactly what the town is looking for.'
You may also want to watch:
Shaun Crowley, chief executive of Beccles Lido, said the group were delighted that the council had unanimously endorsed their plan.
He said: 'We look forward to making the Hall as successful as the Lido and to confirming the Hall's status as a community and entertainment centre of excellence in Beccles.'
- 1 Owner of new pet shop says he will put animal welfare before sales
- 2 Long tailbacks on A47 due to roadworks and lane closure
- 3 Three adorable abandoned day-old kittens adopted by stray
- 4 Driver stopped by police - 20 minutes after being given court ban
- 5 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 6 Widow fighting for wedding refund
- 7 Police break up house party with 28 people crammed into flat
- 8 New owners of popular park café set out vision for 'beautiful' venue
- 9 Antiques Road Trip films at Norfolk collectables shop
- 10 Two men charged with murder of 23-year-old