Costa Coffee and Lidl to open new stores in Thetford in space of a week
- Credit: Eastern Daily Press © 2011
Shoppers in Thetford have two big names of retail and coffee opening branches in the town over the next fortnight.
European supermarket giant Lidl will end three years of waiting when it opens a new store in London Road on August 21.
That will be preceded by the opening of a branch of major coffee chain Costa in King Street on August 16.
The new Lidl, which opens at 8am, has created 29 new full and part-time jobs. The chain's management say the supermarket will be a 'new generation' store, including an in-house bakery serving fresh bread, rolls and pastries.
Thetford mayor, Sylvia Armes, will be opening the store.
You may also want to watch:
Georgina O'Donnell, Lidl spokesman, said: 'People are drawn to Lidl for its premium quality products at low prices but are encouraged to return when they realise they can do their entire weekly shop for a great deal less money than at other supermarkets.
'We're particularly excited about the new store in Thetford, and being able to serve the local residents with our fresh, quality produce delivered to stores every day.'
- 1 Body found in search for missing 87-year-old Margaret Smith
- 2 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
- 3 WATCH: 'Selfish' drug-driver ploughs into police detective's vehicle
- 4 Norfolk man who had sexual relationship with teen jailed
- 5 Hundreds of volunteers search for missing 87-year-old Margaret Smith
- 6 Family's distress as Covid rules force double-jabbed mother into isolation
- 7 Two Norfolk businesses star in TV show
- 8 Fly-tipper travelled from Welsh border to dump in Norfolk
- 9 The Range confirms new store at former Outfit on retail park
- 10 Funeral held for much loved windsurfer after body found in Sweden
Construction of the store was almost halted in 2012 when a 'supermarket war' broke out between Asda and Morrisons, with both applying for stores in the town.
Asda's proposed site on London Road would have put it in direct competition with Lidl, with the German brand threatening to pull out if it was approved by Breckland Council. The Asda was eventually rejected by the council.
The Costa Coffee store will open at 10am, with Commonwealth shooting gold medallist, Mick Gault, opening the branch.
Licensing for the store was agreed in May by Breckland Council, despite objections from Thetford Town Council. The town council was concerned about the loss of 'pure retail space' after the store was changed from a £1 discount retail store.
What do you think about the two stores opening in Thetford? Let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org