Coroner hears Great Yarmouth man Michael Collicott died from natural causes
- Credit: Archant
A man who was found dead in his home died of natural causes, an inquest heard.
Michael Collicott, who died aged 61, was found in his flat in Nottingham Way, Great Yarmouth by his brother on February 4, 2017.
Norfolk coroner Jacqueline Lake heard from witnesses at Great Yarmouth Magistrates' Court on Tuesday.
Mr Collicott, a former laboratory assistant, had lived in his home for 23 years.
He suffered from chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) which left him short of breath and unable to get far out of the house on his own.
His home had fallen into a state of disrepair and uncleanliness as his illness worsened.
After a routine inspection by a Great Yarmouth Borough Council contractor, it was recommended that his broken toilet be repaired, as it was causing some of the hygiene issues in the property.
- 1 Obituary: Tributes after 'heart-shaped hole' is left following teaching assistant's death
- 2 Face masks to be compulsory in shops and public transport, PM announces
- 3 Norfolk to be battered by winds of up to 65mph as Storm Arwen hits UK
- 4 Man arrested on suspicion of sexually assaulting girl on her way to school
- 5 Hermes courier and his wife could be jailed over ‘stolen parcels’
- 6 A11 northbound closed following crash near Attleborough
- 7 'It was a shock' - Burglars raid newsagent after smashing window with axe
- 8 Norfolk stately home neighbour dispute sees campsite owner in court
- 9 Flood alerts issued for parts of Norfolk due to stormy conditions
- 10 Fire crews tackle large barn blaze
The council was not made aware of any issue before the inspection.
An environmental health officer visited Mr Collicott's flat after his death and said it was 'extremely filthy, unhygienic and untidy.'
There was mould on the kitchen walls and on his bedding, but the flat was found not to be damp and ventilation systems were in working order, so the issue was with the tenant not ensuring there was adequate airflow indoors.
The coroner heard Mr Collicott was worried that he may be evicted from his home, but was reassured by a housing officer who said she was pushing for a deep clean to keep him in his flat.
The coroner heard various key workers had made contact with Mr Collicott in the months before he died, however he did not always answer the door when they visited or the phone when they called.
The medical cause of death was recorded as bronchopneumonia, ischaemic heart disease, COPD and hypotension.
Mr Collicott's son, Allan Scott, paid tribute to his father in a statement read out in court.
Mr Scott said he loved his father a great deal and thanked him for teaching him about science. He said he would remember him as a 'wild and clever' man.
He said his dad's flat was 'disgusting, rotten and damp,' and thinks he would have lived longer if it was in a better state.
Mrs Lake recorded a short narrative conclusion and said Mr Collicott died from natural causes contributed to by self neglect.
She said she would like to offer her sympathy to his family.