Boxer, 17, gagged and vomited during Great Yarmouth bout that led to Jakub ‘Kuba’ Moczyk’s death
- Credit: Picture: Magdalena Moczyk
A 17-year-old boxer was not checked by ringside medics after twice gagging and vomiting as he fought in an unlicensed bout that led to the death of Jakub 'Kuba' Moczyk.
Mr Moczyk died from a traumatic head injury following the fight at the Great Yarmouth seafront Atlantis Arena on November 19 last year.
In a report, Norfolk coroner Jacqueline Lake said his opponent gagged and vomited in the second round - the round before Mr Moczyk was knocked out and taken to hospital, where he died.
The referee counted to eight on both occasions the 17-year-old gagged/vomited and allowed the fight to continue. Ringside medics did not examine the 17-year-old nor advise on his fitness to continue, Ms Lake said.
The report also says the medics did not notice he had not been fully examined before the fight started and they were aware his trainer was the referee.
You may also want to watch:
In round three Mr Moczyk received a blow to the head and fell to the ground. He did not regain consciousness and died from his injuries at the James Paget University Hospital two days later.
Following an inquest Ms Lake has now produced what is called a 'report to prevent future deaths' and sent it to Great Yarmouth-based Lifeshield Medical Services, which provided the ringside medics at the fight
- 1 Moment delivery driver walks through shop window
- 2 What can't open in Norfolk on May 17 - and why
- 3 Two Norfolk destinations named among most scenic in UK
- 4 Five rare birds that have been spotted in Norfolk
- 5 Martin Lewis: How to get your hands on £280 if you worked from home
- 6 Man kicked and punched in head by group of attackers
- 7 Giles Orpen-Smellie elected as police and crime commissioner
- 8 End of an era as Debenhams closes in Norwich
- 9 Village pub's burgers are a hit for our reviewer as eating out returns
- 10 Dinomania tour heading to Norfolk with giant dinosaurs that move
In the letter to Lifeshield Ms Lake says: 'During the course of the inquest the evidence revealed matters giving rise to concern. In my opinion there is a risk that future deaths will occur unless action is taken. In the circumstance it is my statutory duty to report to you.
MORE; mother speaks at inquest'The matters of concerns are as follows:
'1 Not all boxers were fully checked prior to the fight taking place, including the deceased's opponent (aged 17 years). The medics did not notice he had not been fully examined.
'2 The medics did not make the referee/promoter aware that not all the boxers had returned to complete their medical examination before the boxing had started.
'3 During the second round the deceased's opponent gagged/vomited on two occasions. The referee stopped the fight and counted to eight on both occasions. The medics did not examine the boxer and advise as to his fitness to continue fighting, but relied on the referee to make the decision as to whether the fight should continue.
'It was known by the medics that the referee was not medically qualified. The medics were aware the referee was also the opponent's trainer.'
MORE; Boxer's heart donated'It was said in response to questioning in this respect, that the referee could be expected to know the boxer and whether he was fit to continue fighting. No account was taken that the referee/trainer may prefer the boxer to continue fighting rather than stop the fight.
In a section called 'action should be taken', the letter goes on to state: 'In my opinion action should be taken to prevent future deaths and I believe your organisation has the power to take such action.'
Lifeshield Medical Services has until December 8 to respond to the report, although the coroner can extend the process.
They say they do not cover boxing fights or any contact fighting sports anymore.
The inquest into Mr Moczyk's death returned a verdict of misadventure.