Cooking bus rolls up to Dereham school
The Food For Life cooking bus rolled up to Neatherd High School in Dereham this week to encourage the community to cook and eat well.
The silver exterior of the articulated lorry conceals a purpose-built kitchen and classroom which allows children and adults to climb on board and improve their cooking skills, learn about healthy eating and discover the benefits of choosing local seasonal produce.
Yesterday, youngsters from Foulsham Primary School and St Nicholas Primary School in Dereham took part in workshops where they made the Greek dish spanakopita.
Gaynor Bosomworth, head of design and technology and co-ordinator of the Cooking Bus's four-day visit to Neatherd High, said: 'We had four, five and six-year-olds practising using knives and chopping things, separating eggs and eating ingredients they might not normally eat. It was great.'
The session was just one of a series of workshops which have taken place this week and have been attended by people from throughout the community.
Ms Bosomworth said she hoped to welcome a group of local young mums to the bus today while teachers from nearby schools have received training from the bus's qualified teachers which they can take back to their classrooms.
The Food for Life cooking bus is part of a �16.9m Big Lottery-funded programme aiming to transform food culture in schools and wider communities.
- 1 Norfolk village named among poshest places to live in the UK
- 2 A47 reopens after serious crash
- 3 Meet the man behind a morbid new craze
- 4 Air ambulance called after three people seriously injured in A47 crash
- 5 New operators take over at council-owned leisure centre
- 6 Should cars be banned from Norwich's steepest hill?
- 7 Custom-built six-bedroom home with indoor slide on the market for £900,000
- 8 Norfolk pub gets booked up every Sunday for its roast dinner platters
- 9 Long stretch of A47 closed overnight due to crash
- 10 Norwich venue offering Afternoon Cheese and it looks incredible
It aims to cover key aspects of food education including nutrition, food safety, hygiene and preparation skills.