Concern following changes to Norwich senior citizens cinema club
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2016
A group of older film fans has complained that changes to its weekly cinema club will stop members from going.
Until recently, more than 100 senior citizens would head to Vue cinema in Norwich every Tuesday at 11am to watch a film and socialise.
But new nationwide changes introduced by the company has meant its senior club will now have to meet on Thursdays at 1pm.
Members said the popular group was a 'life-line' for some elderly film fans and have labelled the changes as 'disgraceful'.
Janet Jervis, 82, who has been with the club for more than 10 years, said the late start on a Thursday would put some members off.
'Senior citizens get up early and like doing things in the morning,' she said. 'But there aren't many people who will go at this new time.
'If the film starts at 1pm, you won't come out until 3pm and at that time children are coming out from school and it will be getting dark.'
- 1 A coach 'filled with people' and a van crash on the NDR
- 2 Heavy winds set to hit Norfolk as yellow weather warning issued
- 3 Broads pub once visited by Chelsea players shuts for good
- 4 One person rescued after crash on A47
- 5 ‘We need action now’: Flood hit Broads business backs river barrier calls
- 6 Body found in woods near Mildenhall
- 7 Tribute to keen mountain biker who died on ride
- 8 Norwich City transfer rumours: Idah out, Hugill back in for Canaries?
- 9 Theatre director's planning bid branded 'an attempt to rewrite history'
- 10 Ambulance chief: 'I'm sorry.... things will get worse before they get better'
Mrs Jervis, from Hellesdon, said people travelled from as far as Great Yarmouth and North Walsham to the club.
Despite it attracting hundreds of people in the past, she said only 20 people turned up last Thursday.
A spokesman for Vue said the changes were made for 'logistical and organisational reasons'.
The company said various options were looked at, but it was felt that the new time was the best way for screenings to continue on a regular basis.
Hugo Malik, a Norwich Labour councillor, said: 'I have been to talk to the management at Vue and they would also like it back on a Tuesday at 11am.'
He has sent an email to Vue's head office asking for it to be changed.
Are you concerned about the changes? Call Luke Powell on 01603 772684.