Companies get set to make a splash at the East Anglian Dragon Boat Festival
- Credit: Nick Butcher
It is one of East Anglia's most colourful fund-raising events.
And with just a couple of months to go until the 11th East Anglian Dragon Boat Festival takes place on Oulton Broad, the inter-company rivalry is building.
The festival, supported by the Lowestoft Journal and The Beach radio station, takes place on Sunday, May 14 at Nicholas Everitt Park.
It attracts a complete mix of new and returning crews from all corners of Suffolk and Norfolk – and there's still plenty of time to get a team together and help 'Raise the Roof' of festival charity, East Coast Hospice.
Two-time reigning champions, Netmatters, are back to try and make it a hat-trick of titles but Corton Coastal Village, Southwood Hall and Mumfords of Southwold (Silver crew) have joined early entrants Grosvenor Casino, Progress Recruitment Solutions, James Fisher Marine Services (Gold crew), Associated British Ports (Silver crew), Bourne Leisure-Gunton Hall and Lovewell Blake alongside the teams representing festival charity East Coast Hospice and The Beach.
Another new team on the startline this year will be the crew from Norwich-based Progress Recruitment. Managing director, Laura Rycroft, said: 'We have entered the Dragon Boat challenge as a team building exercise while raising the profile of our company in the local area.' For accountancy firm Lovewell Blake, this will be their fourth year of competition with their team made up of staff from their Lowestoft and Halesworth offices. Receptionist Beth Carpenter said: 'We look forward to it each year. We are raising money for East Coast Hospice and are hoping to raise as much money as we can throughout all the offices of Lovewell Blake.'
The team raising the most money for East Coast Hospice will be treated to a celebratory meal at the Hotel Victoria in Lowestoft.
- 1 Hopes rekindled for new £20m railway station
- 2 Long-awaited plans for A47 roundabout revamps revealed
- 3 'We're over the moon': Family overjoyed as missing Norwich girl returns home
- 4 Patient dies while waiting in ambulance for hospital bed
- 5 Snow starts to fall in Norfolk - but will it last?
- 6 'Please come home': Family's plea to help find missing Norwich girl
- 7 John Lewis boss bids farewell to Norwich store after nearly three decades
- 8 New 4,000 home garden village idea criticised by countryside charity
- 9 Obituary: Owner of huge collection of vintage tractors dies aged 75
- 10 Warning for drivers as Met Office issues ice warning across Norfolk
To take part in the dragon boat racing and help 'Raise the Roof' of East Coast Hospice, no previous experience is required. The dragon boats, qualified helms and all racing equipment are provided and each crew is guaranteed a minimum of three races.
? For an entry form visit www.dragonboatfestivals.co.uk/eastanglia or call Gable Events on 01780 470718.