Five decades of hair - Norfolk hairdressers celebrate 40 years trading
- Credit: Archant
They've seen styles of all shapes and sizes and colours.
Now, a hairdresser's in Poringland is celebrating 40 years in business by looking back at the fashions over the decades - and forward to the future.
Colin David Hair Studios, on The Street, owned by husband and wife Colin and Wendie Cork have been trading in Poringland since 1975.
To celebrate, the unisex hair studio will be giving 25pc of their takings from the week to East Anglia's Children's Hospices and holding raffles, serving cakes and giving gifts.
Mr Cork, who began hair dressing at 18, said: 'Locally we have the new hospice opening up behind us and it's something we decided to do and raise money for alongside the celebrations.'
You may also want to watch:
Over the past few years, their daughter Harriette has become more involved in the family business by taking care of their social media.
Mr Cork said: 'Harriette basically runs the place, she's a different generation to us and knows how to bring the business forward with social media.'
- 1 Would you know what to do if your car hit a deer?
- 2 Green light for new Tesco store in town centre
- 3 'Incredible' donation pays for expansion of Norfolk's largest ancient wood
- 4 What counts as a substantial meal under Norfolk's tier 2 pub rules?
- 5 Man arrested after woman suffers broken collar bone in row over mask
- 6 'It's nonsense': Shoppers react to Norfolk's Tier 2 announcement
- 7 Commuter trains halted as Norwich to London line blocked
- 8 New appeal as pregnant woman goes missing again
- 9 Several weeks into lockdown, Norfolk sees sharp decline in coronavirus infection rates
- 10 PRESSER LIVE: Norwich City v Coventry City - Krul out three weeks; Pukki out this weekend
Having been open through five decades, the owners have styled their way through dozens of trends both good and bad.
When asked about hairstyles he remembers, Mr Cork said: 'There have been so many different styles over the years, I think it would be impossible to say my most and least favourite ones.
'Being in Poringland we have never really kept to traditional fashion, but if anybody has wanted something new we're happy to do it for them.'
Use our interactive Apester story to have a look at some of the hairstyles which we thought were great but looking back, makes us want to 'curl up and dye'.
To find out more about Colin David Hair Studios visit: www.colindavidhairstudios.co.uk/
Let's look through some of the biggest hairstyles to hit the UK over the past five decades.
• The Feathered haircut gained popularity in the early 1970s. Many celebrities wore this style including Farrah Fawcett, Princess Diana, John Travolta and Rob Lowe.
• The 'page boy' haircut was most prominent in the 1970s and 80s. Joanna Lumley from The New Avengers wore her hair like this.
• The 1980's saw huge, vol The perm involved the use of heat and/or chemicals to change the bonds of the persons hair uminous locks on both men and women. The do was inspired by musicians at the time, including Tina Turner.
• The perm involved the use of heat and/or chemicals to change the bonds of the persons hair. It would often be changed to curls or afros.
• Britney did it. So did Jennifer Love Hewitt. Even Tyra Banks gave it a shot. Yes, we're talking about crimped hair, which, to your dismay or delight, seems to be making a comeback from its 90s heyday.
• The debut of Jennifer Aniston's iconic look on the set of Friends back in 1995 launched a movement that quickly caught on in Hollywood. Two celebs to use this style were Tyra Banks and Meg Ryan.
• Chunky highlights went out of fashion in the early 2000s. Now lets leave them in the past where they belong.
• Sweeping bangs have recently been seen on celebrities like Jennifer Lopez and Ciara, Reese Witherspoon and Kate Hudson.
• Today, we have a much wider variety of choice when it comes to hair dye. Many people have now come to enjoy bright hair colours along with silvers.
• Ombre was and still is a huge trend for women today no matter if you have short or long hair.