Coach crashes into school wall in Thetford
A school is facing 'substantial' repairs after a coach crashed into its boundary wall.
Thetford Grammar School was left with a large amount of damage when a National Express coach hit the listed wall and gates off Bridge Street, Thetford, in the early hours of this morning (Monday).
Seven passengers were on board when the incident happened at 1.35am, opposite the bus station. Police and a fire crew were called to assist people off the coach through the rear emergency doors.
Nobody is believed to have been injured.
Thetford Grammar School bursar, Phil McGahan, said he was currently consulting an architect regarding the repairs and added: 'It's the last thing you want to see when you walk into the office in the morning - it's fairly substantial.
You may also want to watch:
'It's affected the gates we use for the maintenance department so it's not disrupted the school but we've had to try to make it secure.'
Because the wall is listed Breckland Council planning officials will need to agree any repairs.
- 1 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: LIVE Results
- 2 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: County council election results
- 3 Housing firms slammed for removing trees and hedgerows 'in error'
- 4 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 5 Iconic seafront property sold as £50,000 donated to lifeboats
- 6 Police hunt for missing Beccles man
- 7 Antiques Road Trip films at Norfolk collectables shop
- 8 'Shocking destruction' - fury over removal of trees at walking spot
- 9 Woman left with bite wounds following dog attack
- 10 Three adorable abandoned day-old kittens adopted by stray
A National Express spokesman said: 'An incident occurred this morning near Thetford bus station involving our Stansted Airport service. The emergency services attended and we have launched an internal investigation into the circumstances.'