Social media boycott: MP 'will block people most days'
- Credit: Archant
Clive Lewis, Norfolk's only MP of colour, says he blocks people on social media "most days" due to the abuse he receives.
Abuse of politicians has been well-documented in recent years, with parliamentary representatives frequently sent messages threatening violence or serious sexual assault.
And for Mr Lewis, whose constituency is Norwich South, being subjected to offensive or intimidating language online is commonplace.
"Sometimes I will block people for the abusive nature of their tweets," he added. "It is not something we should just accept and I have had to report things on Twitter before.
"At other times it is because their political views are so obnoxious, I will make the decision I don't want them following me.
You may also want to watch:
"There are many similarities between football and politics. People get passionate when it comes to both and that will inevitably create friction, but you should be able to have those frictions without resorting to abuse."
- 1 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 2 Former hunting lodge for sale for £1.695m with huge lake
- 3 Never mind the limo - aspiring farmer rides tractor to prom night
- 4 Park issues warning over bacteria which is toxic to dogs
- 5 Incredible aerial photos show scale of Latitude Festival
- 6 Queues in Norwich as hundreds flock to cider and sausage festival
- 7 City confirm midfielder exit
- 8 'Too close to home': Neighbours' shock as body found at Mousehold Heath
- 9 Truck stopped for 'unsecure load' during road check
- 10 City ready for Cantwell and Aarons end game