Chip van worker may never work again after being scalded by burning cooking oil following road crash

A fast food worker has suffered life-changing injuries from being scalded by hot cooking oil after the stationary van she was working in was hit by a car.

Susan Lawrence, 46, from Burston Close, Briston, is receiving treatment at a specialist burns unit at Broomfield Hospital in Chelmsford following the incident in Fakenham last week.

She has suffered burns on both arms, her left leg and her backside and is due to undergo a seven-hour skin graft operation this week.

Relatives said she is coping well under the circumstances but her daughter Samantha Bramble, 23, has been told that the severity of the injuries will mean that her mother will never be able to work again and will need to undergo regular physiotherapy.

Mrs Bramble, who lives in Hindolveston, said: 'Mum has been working in the chippy van for 23 years. She loved her job, she would never have left it. In all that time this is the first accident she has had.

'A doctor told me that she won't be able to work again and she will have to claim benefits, which is extremely sad for her, but she is coping will under the circumstances. She just wants to come home.'

Mrs Bramble added: 'We've had no end of support from people. People have been giving us cards wishing mum well and offering money to cover the costs of going to see her. The support has been amazing.'

Most Read

The crash happened at around 5.20pm last Thursday.

A green Peugeot 106 was travelling down Norwich Road, Fakenham, when it smashed into a white Iveco van, which was parked on the side of the road.

Mrs Lawrence, who was preparing food inside the van, fell to the floor and burning oil from a deep fat fryer landed on top of her.

A man, who was also working inside the van, received less severe burns and is recovering at home.

Mrs Lawrence's husband Stephen, 48, is currently with her in Chelmsford.

Mr Lawrence, a lorry driver, said: 'I was working in Fakenham when I heard the ambulance and the police fly past.

'Minutes later I got a call from a woman at the scene, who had my wife's mobile phone, and she explained to me what had happened.'

Mr Lawrence went with his wife to Queen Elizabeth Hospital, King's Lynn and she was transferred to Broomfield Hospital that night.

He said: 'We are just hoping now that the operation goes well and we expect to return home within a week or two.'

Norfolk Police would like to hear from anyone who witnessed the incident or the manner of driving of the Peugeot immediately prior to the collision.

PC Ady Girton can be contacted on 101.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter