Chimney spark blamed for thatched cottage blaze

Fire investigators believe a spark from a chimney may have started a devastating fire which tore through three thatched cottages.

More than 50 firefighters were called to The Row, in Weeting near Brandon, when the blaze took hold at about 5pm on Sunday.

Norfolk Fire Service today (Tuesday) concluded it had mostly likely been started by a spark from a chimney at one of the homes setting fire to the roof.

Three families have been left temporarily homeless, but the quick action of firefighter prevented the flames from spreading further.

Specific advice for thatched properties is available online at www.norfolkfireservice.gov.uk.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter