Charity football tournament to be held in memory of north Norfolk man
- Credit: Submitted - March 2013
Four local football clubs will battle to become the first winners of a competition being held in memory of a north Norfolk man this weekend.
The Brian Curtis Cup has been organised by Dilham Cross Keys FC to raise funds for the Big C and Macmillan Cancer Support charities.
Mr Curtis, from Witton, near Bacton, died aged 69 on Christmas Day 2011 after a short battle with cancer.
His nephew, Colin Pinder, is chairman of Dilham's competition committees so has set up the fun charity competition to raise some funds in his uncle's memory and is hoping to establish it as an annual tournament.
Mr Curtis's wife, Sheila, 63, explained her husband was a farm worker on their farm at Witton and was a keen fisherman.
You may also want to watch:
They had two children, Irene and Wayne, who have given them four grandchildren. Mrs Curtis said she was grateful for her nephew's efforts and is intending to go to the final of the competition on Monday.
'He wasn't involved with Dilham football club but he did used to play football years ago, before I met him, for East Ruston,' Mrs Curtis said.
- 1 Vision for multi-million pound new Norwich venue revealed
- 2 Be lord of the manor: Site of forgotten mansion for sale for £2.3m
- 3 Two city businesses on the move as mystery new tenant hovers
- 4 Norfolk cliffs fall man arrested on suspicion of murder released on bail
- 5 Police reopen road following earlier crash
- 6 Volunteer hit with £100 parking fee while collecting food for needy
- 7 'People didn't know I existed' - Shopkeeper thrilled with new store
- 8 Shoppers queue for revamped garden centre reopening
- 9 Scams in Norfolk this week: Hermes texts and electricity boxes
- 10 Norwich City transfer rumours: Canaries keen on Cherries ace
'It's nice what they are doing, I'll go along and watch on Monday.'
The semi-finals will first be played on Friday and Saturday however - with all games being played in Dilham at 10.30am and followed by drinks and nibble at the Cross Keys pub.
On Friday Norwich team Sporting Longdale will take on hosts Dilham Cross Keys and on Saturday Aldborough Lions will face Erpingham.
Monday's final, with the Brian Curtis Cup up for grabs, will be followed by a presentation and auction at the Cross Keys at 2pm.
- The organisers are still looking for official referees who would be willing to officiate the matches, any referees who can volunteer their time can email Roger Bunton on email@example.com