Charity celebrates 70th anniversary with its volunteers at unique fashion show at Jarrold
- Credit: Archant
An exclusive fashion show will be taking place at a Norwich department store this week in celebration of a local charity's 70th birthday.
Retailer Jarrold, based in the city centre, is opening its doors on Thursday to welcome visitors to its restaurant, Benjis, in aid of Norfolk-based independent charity Age UK Norfolk.
Michelle Jay, the charity's marketing and fundraising officer, said, 'We are delighted that Jarrold is celebrating our 70th anniversary with us and we are very grateful that it is hosting this fantastic event to help us raise vital funds which will enable us to continue supporting older people across Norfolk.'
Models will include some of the charity's volunteers who are stepping into a slightly different role for the evening as they help to parade the latest fashions.
Lynnette Dear, a volunteer who assists older people with their household finances, will be modelling on the evening.
You may also want to watch:
She said: 'Now that I'm in my 60s I find choosing 'a look' more challenging. So at the fashion show I'll be looking for inspiration.'
The show begins at 6.15pm on March 23 and will include three fashion changes, a beauty demonstration, and a raffle.
- 1 Man dies after medical emergency on beach
- 2 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143
- 3 Man arrested on suspicion of drink and drug driving after fatal crash
- 4 'Never seen anything like it' - Norfolk Christmas shopping frenzy has begun
- 5 Gilmour advised to quit City for Rangers loan return
- 6 'Glagoon' returns to Norfolk beach and locals are loving it
- 7 Father and son admit handling stolen power tools
- 8 Norfolk roadworks to be aware of this week
- 9 Caravan catches fire in Norwich
- 10 Top five Norfolk campsites according to Tripadvisor
Age UK Norfolk started in 1947 as the Norfolk Older People's Welfare Association to provide help and assistance to older people during the aftermath of the Second World War and also to provide a voice for their rights and dignity.
The charity continues that ethos today through their work with dementia friendly communities, dementia cafes, free information and advice, telephone befriending, and campaigning to combat loneliness among older people.
Currently 73pc of the charity's income is spent directly on services supporting older people living in Norfolk. Its multi-disciplinary team is made-up of 76.48 full time equivalent staff members who are supported by over 279 volunteers.
- Tickets to the fashion show are available from Age UK Norfolk's head office based at 300 St Faith's Road, Old Catton, Norwich, NR6 7BJ, by ringing 01603 787 111 or from Jarrold's Customer Service Desk based on the second floor. Tickets are £10 each and include a glass of wine on arrival.