Charges agreed for free North Walsham Mundesley Road car park
- Credit: Archant
Charges will be introduced to a free North Walsham car park at the end of this month despite concerns from community leaders.
From October 31, motorists will have to pay to use the badly pot-holed Mundesley Road car park after North Norfolk District Council cabinet members voted in favour of the proposal today.
Measures to scrap unpopular evening charges across the district and allow those buying 24-hour £5 NNDC parking tickets to use them in any of its car parks were also passed.
The council will spend £70,000 on resurfacing the Mundesley Road car park, which could make £6,000 a year and include about 60 spaces.
Local leaders, including the chamber for business and town councillors, claimed North Walsham's particular circumstances should be considered.
You may also want to watch:
They said it had less street parking than other towns, lost vital trade to Norwich and that charging would deter shoppers.
District council deputy leader Rhodri Oliver said the town council had turned down the offer to take on the space and continue running it as a free car park after 'exhaustive' consultation.
- 1 Body found in search for missing 87-year-old Margaret Smith
- 2 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
- 3 WATCH: 'Selfish' drug-driver ploughs into police detective's vehicle
- 4 Norfolk man who had sexual relationship with teen jailed
- 5 Two Norfolk businesses star in TV show
- 6 Fly-tipper travelled from Welsh border to dump in Norfolk
- 7 Aldi planning four new stores in Norfolk
- 8 The Range confirms new store at former Outfit on retail park
- 9 Funeral held for much loved windsurfer after body found in Sweden
- 10 Man charged with attempted murder after serious Norwich assault
He added the authority needed to have a consistent approach to its car parks.
Cabinet also agreed to introduce three free 30-minute slots in NNDC car parks on Morris Street, Sheringham; The Meadow, Cromer; Bridge Street, Fakenham; High Street, Stalham; Bank Loke, North Walsham; Albert Street, Holt, and Staithe Street, Wells.