Gorleston woman celebrates centenary with loved ones
- Credit: William Farringdon
A woman from Gorleston has celebrated her 100th birthday with friends and family from across the world.
More than two dozen people attended Eileen May Farringdon’s centenary party at Burgh House on August 2 and some guests travelled from as far as California and Florida.
Mrs Farringdon was born in Sheffield and moved to Gorleston with her husband Bill nearly 60 years ago, running an eight bedroom boarding house together.
Her favourite pastime is sea fishing and she won several championships down the years.
Her husband died in 2004 and Mrs Farringdon moved into Burgh House two years ago, where she has made numerous friends.
You may also want to watch:
Mrs Farringdon was presented with a card from the Queen at the party, congratulating her on reaching the special landmark, and everyone enjoyed a buffet and cakes.
Asked about her secret to a long life, Mrs Farringdon said, “I just carry on.”
- 1 The rise and fall of a beloved Norfolk wildlife park
- 2 Woman's life 'left in pieces' after being raped while unconscious
- 3 'One of life's gentlemen' - Neighbours describe killer's double life
- 4 'I was in tears': Dentist can keep working despite failing 13 patients
- 5 Man in 50s dies after crash between car and bicycle
- 6 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 7 Norfolk seaside village third most sought-after in UK
- 8 Builder opens shepherd huts on site with unusual feature
- 9 Part of A47 reopens after earlier accident
- 10 Make it modern: Norfolk rectory goes up for sale after renovation