Carol service marks historic change, as King’s Lynn’s St Margaret’s Church becomes a minster
King's Lynn's St Margaret's Church will officially become a Minster at a special service this Sunday.
The 900-year-old landmark building is at the heart of the town.
An announcement in October from the Diocese of Norwich said both St Margaret's and St Nicholas Church in Yarmouth would be made into Minsters this year.
King's Lynn's annual civic carol service on Sunday evening will mark the transition.
The Bishop of Norwich, the Rt Rev Graham James, will lead the service, and the Bishop of Lynn, the Rt Rev Jonathan Meyrick, will also be attending.
You may also want to watch:
Bishop Graham said both churches were: 'Cherished in each town and many civic and community occasions take place within them. They are significant gathering points for a much wider area than their geographical parishes. Both have a growing and developing ministry and much appeal to tourists and pilgrims.' Canon Christopher Ivory said at the time of the announcement: 'St Margaret's isn't any more important than other church buildings, but we are both humbled and honoured that the Bishop of Norwich has decided to give us a new title that reflects our commitment to serve the community beyond the immediate parish boundaries and invites the wider community to see us as a place for them. We hope, also, that having a Minster will be another signal to people well beyond our area that King's Lynn is a beautiful historic town.'
West Norfolk mayor Colin Sampson said he was 'delighted' that the Minster status had been given to St Margaret's.
- 1 'It's nonsense': Shoppers react to Norfolk's Tier 2 announcement
- 2 What counts as a substantial meal under Norfolk's tier 2 pub rules?
- 3 Would you know what to do if your car hit a deer?
- 4 Man arrested after woman suffers broken collar bone in row over mask
- 5 New appeal as pregnant woman goes missing again
- 6 Several weeks into lockdown, Norfolk sees sharp decline in coronavirus infection rates
- 7 Green light for new Tesco store in town centre
- 8 Commuter trains halted as Norwich to London line blocked
- 9 'Incredible' donation pays for expansion of Norfolk's largest ancient wood
- 10 PRESSER LIVE: Norwich City v Coventry City - Krul out three weeks; Pukki out this weekend
A Minster church is an honorary title given to a large or important church.