Cape Verde VIP warmly welcomed during Great Yarmouth visit
- Credit: Nick Butcher
An overseas dignitary was warmly welcomed into Great Yarmouth when she visited the town to meet people.
Maria Fernandes, community minister for Cape Verde, enjoyed the warm spring sunshine when she met locals and councillors at St George's Theatre as part of a stop-over in the town.
Among those who greeted her were members of Yarmouth's Portuguese community, representatives from Great Yarmouth Refugee Outreach and Support and borough councillors, including leader Trevor Wainwright.
Dancers performed for the minster, who was presented with a bouquet of flowers, before she enjoyed lunch with residents.
Aurelio Spinola, head of the Portuguese Speakers' Network Great Yarmouth, said Dr Fernandes's visit on Sunday had gone very well and it had provided a good opportunity for people from different cultures to meet.
You may also want to watch:
'It's important for all these people to come together and to see someone like her and chat to her,' he added.
- 1 Man in 20s drowned in Bawsey Country Park lake
- 2 Amazing photos show storms over Norfolk – and there are more to come
- 3 Elderly man took his clothes off at Norwich park
- 4 Man, 20, who drowned at Bawsey Pits is named
- 5 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
- 6 Cat food brands recalled over link to fatal disease
- 7 School shut after ceiling tile falls on to class of children
- 8 See inside the 'tiny mobile homes' built from scratch for £95,000
- 9 Two Norfolk villages named among most beautiful to visit in England
- 10 Tributes to popular Tesco worker with 'sparkling personality'