Canine customers in Gorleston give cafe the howl of approval
- Credit: Nick Butcher
A canine cafe in Gorleston has become a port of call for owners who become separated from their pooch pals on the beach.
The Doggie Diner, next to the Pier Hotel, opened part time last year but has now been open seven days a week from this month.
And now owner, Angie Girling, says that the cafe has been attracting dogs who are turning up waiting for a treat, with or without their owners.
'I think they've gotten used to it,' said Angie. 'Even on the days we weren't open last year, there would sometimes be one waiting outside the door for a sausage!'
The Doggie Diner, next to the Pier Hotel, started as a cafe in the summer time and then snowballed, and now Angie is serving up doggie dinners, treats and healthy dog cupcakes from 70p, seven days a week. One popular choice is a carrot cake muffin - made with ingredients dogs can eat - topped with chicken liver and a mini sausage.
'People can bring their dogs inside, we've got a cosy corner. We've had three dogs come on their own without their owners now, so they obviously know where they want to be!'
Angie's friend, Claire Manwani, added: 'It's such a lovely atmosphere, there's even an older couple who come in who don't have a dog - they just love to be around them!'
- 1 Norfolk college named best secondary school in the UK
- 2 ‘This was our worst nightmare’: Locals shock after man dies in crash
- 3 Case of Omicron Covid variant confirmed in north Norfolk
- 4 Long-awaited plans for A47 roundabout revamps revealed
- 5 'Squatter' couple become legal owners of land as saga continues
- 6 Shocking footage appears to show £100m Marham jet crashing off carrier
- 7 Man charged with drink driving after crash at police station
- 8 Man arrested after passenger dies in Old Buckenham crash
- 9 Norwich man sentenced to life imprisonment after murder conviction
- 10 Police hunting for Norwich man wanted for three weeks
The diner also serves food and drinks for humans, so owners can warm up along with their dog after a brisk walk on the sands.
In the future, Angie is planning on providing a base for some owners to hold fun dog shows, or even for dog walking clubs to meet.
To find out more, search for Gorleston Doggie Diner on Facebook.