Norfolk MP ‘trapped’ on train amid swathes of delays and cancellations on the railway
- Credit: Archant
A Norfolk MP is 'trapped' on a train as travellers face disruption on the railways.
MP for Mid-Norfolk George Freeman tweeted his frustration after a tree on the line caused delays.
He said: 'Beautiful day, not a breath of wind. But Greater Anglia now saying the service stopped because of a 'tree down on the line as a result of the weather. Why on earth didn't you tell us that before we bought a ticket and boarded?'
He added: 'Now trapped. With a day in ruins.'
Train travellers are facing disruption across the region this morning, with fallen trees causing cancellations of services between Norwich and London.
You may also want to watch:
The 5am service and the 5.30am service from Norwich to London Liverpool Street were both been cancelled due to fallen trees blocking the railway between Norwich and Ipswich.
And, this morning, they announced the 6.48am and 7.40am services between Norwich and the capital would also be cancelled.
- 1 Fire crews battling large house blaze
- 2 Ford and Jaguar crash in second incident near village in same night
- 3 Seven cosy pubs to visit in Norfolk this winter
- 4 BBC Autumnwatch returns to Norfolk for another season
- 5 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Norfolk
- 6 950-home bid takes step forward after £7m developer contribution agreed
- 7 'I remember shutting down' - Singer on cancer diagnosis at Norfolk hospital
- 8 Jailed this week: Primark brawl, attempted murder and abuse
- 9 Road closed after crash involving car and two tractors
- 10 Hundreds more trees on route of Norwich NDR have died
Four overhead wire structures were damaged and the rail operator said they needed to be replaced before the line could reopen.
But, once that problem was sorted, a further tree was found on the line between Stowmarket and Diss.
A rail replacement bus service is operating in place of the cancelled trains.
The 6.52am and 8.09am services between Norwich and Great Yarmouth were also cancelled. Greater Anglia tweeted that was because of 'more trains than usual needing repairs at the same time'.
Other cancelled services include:
• 9.30am Norwich to London Liverpool Street due 11.19am
• 10am London Liverpool Street to Norwich due 11.50am
• 10.30am Norwich to London Liverpool Street due 12.19pm
• 10:57am Lowestoft to Norwich due 11.35am
• 11.30am Norwich to London Liverpool Street due 1.19pm
• 11.30am London Liverpool Street to Norwich due 1.27pm
• 12pm London Liverpool Street to Norwich due 1.50pm
• 12.30pm Norwich to London Liverpool Street due 2.19pm
• 1pm London Liverpool Street to Norwich due 2.50pm
• 2pm London Liverpool Street to Norwich due 3.48pm
Disruption is expected until 3pm.