Calls for food bank to help the villages
- Credit: Eastern Daily Press � 2016
There have been calls to help the rural poor to access food banks.
County councillor for East Flegg Jonathon Childs is trying to organise a service to reach people in the villages.
He said people who live in the northern parishes have contacted him about their difficulties getting into town to access services.
A claimant who wishes to remain anonymous said she struggled with getting to a food bank.
'I think a mobile food bank would be great, I know when I started on Universal Credit it was really hard. I had no money and as I don't drive I had to try and scrape together money for the bus fare to get to the food bank, as well as still trying to pay for school bits. It was really horrid. If it saves someone else from not going through that its worth it.
You may also want to watch:
'It was bad, I must admit I did cry a few times when the kids were asleep.'
In order to get help from the foodbank you will need to be referred with a voucher.
- 1 Fire crews battling large house blaze
- 2 Seven cosy pubs to visit in Norfolk this winter
- 3 Ford and Jaguar crash in second incident near village in same night
- 4 Jailed this week: Primark brawl, attempted murder and abuse
- 5 BBC Autumnwatch returns to Norfolk for another season
- 6 Road closed after crash involving car and two tractors
- 7 950-home bid takes step forward after £7m developer contribution agreed
- 8 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Norfolk
- 9 'I remember shutting down' - Singer on cancer diagnosis at Norfolk hospital
- 10 Hundreds more trees on route of Norwich NDR have died
Each foodbank works with different frontline professionals, such as doctors, health visitors, social workers and the Citizens Advice, who make referrals to the foodbank using a voucher.
The foodbank and referral agency use the voucher to gather some basic information. This will help them to identify the cause of the crisis, offer practical guidance and prepare suitable emergency food.
Once you have been issued with a voucher, you can exchange this for a minimum of three days' emergency food at your nearest foodbank centre.