Calls for better road safety after 50-year-old Southery man dies on A10
- Credit: Archant
Calls have been made to improve the safety of a stretch of the A10 after a 50-year-old Southery man died in a collision on Wednesday.
Phillip Beeton, of Feltwell Road, died in an accident on the A10 outside Travellers Rest at Chittering.
He was driving a blue Citroen Relay van when he was involved in a crash with a tipper lorry.
A male passenger from the van is in a critical condition at Addenbrooke's Hospital, in Cambridge.
Peter Johnson, Waterbeach Parish councillor and South Cambridgeshire District councillor, said: 'It was a dreadful accident resulting in a fatality. The A10 has definitely got worse especially with houses being built in Ely. It has got more and more busy.'
You may also want to watch:
The 67-year-old, who has actively campaigned for better road safety along the A10, said there should be a 50mph stretch where the junction is to School Lane and signs warning drivers they were approaching a junction.
'It might be a good idea to start that up now. Its a bit late after someone has been killed but it could prevent someone suffering the same disaster,' he said.
- 1 Water outages hit homes across city
- 2 All the major Christmas events in Norfolk that can go ahead
- 3 Town in mourning as nightclub owner who 'loved everybody' dies at 49
- 4 Taxi driver stole more than £17,000 from his employer
- 5 People released from car after crash closes road
- 6 Landlady warns community pubs are being 'crucified' by new measures
- 7 Norfolk hospitals have discharged over 1,100 coronavirus patients
- 8 Would you know what to do if your car hit a deer?
- 9 'Gutted' - Thieves take BMW wheels leaving car on bricks
- 10 Person freed from vehicle after crash on A140
He added his wife was driving along the leg of road just before the accident happened.
Mr Johnson added he had known people to go 'lickety split' down the stretch and said he was going to bring the matter up at the parish council highways committee meeting.
A 58-year-old man from Huntingdon was arrested on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving and has been released on police bail until December 9.