Calendar shows then and now of Long Stratton
- Credit: Archant
It is a village that has become infamous among motorists for long tails backs on a heavily congested A140.
And now images that feature Long Stratton's more tranquil past are being used to help the two churches that serve the south Norfolk community.
The Long Stratton Now and Then 2017 calendar has been produced to raise funds for the churches of Stratton St Mary and Stratton St Michael's.
Among the images is a solitary car trundling up the high street in the 1930s, a stark contrast to today's scenes along the busy A140.
And the calendar will spark memories of former shops as other photographs show the Ice House Precinct in 1996, a baker's shop that was destroyed by fire in 1941, Harvey's garage from the 1960s which is now the site of the
Stratton Motor Company, and the Post Office which is now home
to Lawrence Paul hair and beauty salon.
- 1 Meet the new team behind revamped village pub
- 2 Woman in 40s airlifted to hospital after suffering medical emergency
- 3 People are driving for hours to visit this loaded fries and doughnut kiosk
- 4 'Once in a lifetime catch' - man lands monster fish in Norfolk
- 5 Music-loving dad whose ashes were fired into festival crowd took own life
- 6 Obituary: Doctor, and son of Norwich's recycling empire founder, dies aged 69
- 7 One person taken to hospital after three-car crash on A47
- 8 Father accused of baby girl's murder 'had short fuse and made things up'
- 9 Holiday Inn to become 'care hotel' to help struggling hospitals
- 10 One of East Anglia's largest property builders is sold to investment firm
The idea for the calendar came from Rosemary Bennett and the flashback photographs were provided by Judith Baker, with businesses sponsoring each month.
So far 100 of the 500 calendars have been sold and it is hoped that each church will get at least £1,000.
The calendar, which costs £5, is available from The Butcher's House, Lawrence Paul, Cheshunt Hairdressers, Bekays DIY, Cycle Shed, Stratton Motor Company, Scissorhappy, Long Stratton Leisure Centre and the parish office at 8 Flowerpot Lane.
Are you organising a fundraising event in the Long Stratton area? Email firstname.lastname@example.org