Caister Coastwatch volunteers postpone event due to ongoing search for Sophie Smith
- Credit: Archant
A sponsored swim has been postponed as searches continue for missing student Sophie Smith.
Watchkeepers from the Caister National Coastwatch Institution Station were due to hold a sponsored swim at 11am today (New Year's Day).
But as the search for 21-year-old Sophie goes on, the Caister Coastwatch volunteers have postponed the event.
A spokesman said: 'National Coastwatch at Caister have decided to postpone our sponsored swim in respect for Sophie and the family.'
Sophie disappeared from her home on Avondale Road in Gorleston at 3am on Boxing Day morning.
CCTV footage captured her heading towards the seafront a short time later, but there have been no other confirmed sightings since then.
- 1 Norfolk village named among poshest places to live in the UK
- 2 Air ambulance called after three people seriously injured in A47 crash
- 3 Should cars be banned from Norwich's steepest hill?
- 4 Seven Sprowston neighbours scoop £30,000 lottery win
- 5 Meet the man behind a morbid new craze
- 6 Car boot sale to return after five years with up to 200 pitches
- 7 Asteroid bigger than any building on Earth to be visible in Norfolk skies
- 8 Custom-built six-bedroom home with indoor slide on the market for £900,000
- 9 A47 reopens after serious crash
- 10 Inside Norfolk's vital lifeline centre offering families respite