Butchers across Norfolk dress to impress for Christmas
- Credit: NFDL
Christmas dinner is the most important meal of the year. And decorating the turkey is a big part of it.
Now butchers across Norfolk are being encouraged to get even more Christmassy by dressing, not only the food but, their own shop windows over the festive season.
Norfolk Food & Drink Ltd, which celebrates the best food and drink the region has to offer, is offering a prize for the best.
They launched the Christmas Window Dressing Competition for butchers and farm shops last year in association with local abattoir H G Blake (Costessey) Ltd and it proved so popular it is back by public demand.
It has been split into two categories: The Best Shop Window for those with a shop frontage and the Best Counter Display for those with only a counter frontage.
The criteria for the competition, which is being staged on Thursday, Friday and Saturday this week (December 8-10), are to create a festive meat display showcasing the butchers' products and butchery skills.
And Christmas shoppers can also get involved. They are being encouraged to upload photographs of their favourite displays on social media - www.facebook.com/pages/Norfolk-Food-Drink-Festival or Twitter: @FoodFestNorfolk #NFAD16.
- 1 Face masks to be compulsory in shops and public transport, PM announces
- 2 Obituary: Tributes after 'heart-shaped hole' is left following teaching assistant's death
- 3 Norfolk to be battered by winds of up to 65mph as Storm Arwen hits UK
- 4 Man arrested on suspicion of sexually assaulting girl on her way to school
- 5 A11 northbound closed following crash near Attleborough
- 6 Flood alerts issued for parts of Norfolk due to stormy conditions
- 7 'It was a shock' - Burglars raid newsagent after smashing window with axe
- 8 Hermes courier and his wife could be jailed over ‘stolen parcels’
- 9 Norfolk stately home neighbour dispute sees campsite owner in court
- 10 All I want for Christmas is... a twinkling tractor with fairy lights
The best photograph from the public will receive a voucher for a Christmas joint to be collected from H.G. Blake.
The judging will take place on Monday, December 12, by Jane Blake of H.G Blake. All butchers taking part will receive a certificate.
Paul Brittain, from Norfolk 360, has offered the winner of both categories a Google Streetview Business Tour of their shop to enhance their presence on Google and promote their business.
Sarah de Chair, chairman of Norfolk Food & Drink Ltd, said: 'The idea is to encourage customers into their local butcher shops.
'Last year was the first time we ran this event and the response from those butchers who took part was highly encouraging. They have reported back to us that it brought more customers into their shops to buy their Christmas meat and, since running the competition, many butchers have continued to devote part of their counter to a great display according to the season.'
Last year, M&D Butchers in Sheringham won the Best Window Display and HV Graves in Briston won the Best Counter Display.
Among the butchers known to have entered this year are: Archers Butchers, Norwich; Coxfords Butchers, Aylsham; Goddards of Norfolk, Downham Market; HV Graves (Briston) Ltd, Briston; Icarus Hines Butchers, Cromer; M&D Butchers, Sheringham; Massingham Brothers, Hoveton; Walsingham Farms Shop, Walsingham.
Let us know if you spot any!