Jobs: Do you have what it takes to be an RNLI lifeguard on Norfolk’s beaches?
- Credit: Archant
The RNLI are to hold try outs this week to try and recruit the next wave of lifeguards to patrol the beaches of Norfolk this summer.
In the free swim sessions people will be given the same swim test that all budding lifeguards need to pass- a 400 metre swim completed in less than seven minutes and 30 seconds.
It is hoped that the test will help identify potential lifeguards for the new season. For those who don't make the mark, serving lifeguards will be on hand to offer training tips and advice on how to improve.
RNLI Lifeguard Manager Vincent Pank said that lifeguards come from all walks of life and the job would suit many different people.
'RNLI lifeguards get kitted, paid and trained to save lives. They come from all walks of life including teachers, students, stay-at-home parents, business owners and gap year travellers,' he said. 'This is a great opportunity for people to come along and find out if the county's best summer job will suit them.'
Last year, RNLI lifeguards in Norfolk and Suffolk rescued 55 people and saved eight lives.
On the first day of the lifeguard season last year, lifeguards on Wells beach rescued 10 people – eight of whom were children – caught in strong currents.
To find out where your nearest try out is and to book your place visit the RNLI website.
•Find hundreds of local job vacancies at jobs24.co.uk.
- 1 Norfolk festival cancelled amid 'challenging year'
- 2 Roads closed as armed police and dog units swoop on Norwich home
- 3 Vicar at heart of bitter church row resigns
- 4 Woman in her 50s who died in A11 crash named locally
- 5 Lakeside proposal gone wrong watched by millions on TikTok
- 6 Princess Anne receives warm welcome at Royal Norfolk Show
- 7 Cannabis factory discovered in Norwich home after police raid
- 8 Traffic easing on first day of Royal Norfolk Show after earlier delays
- 9 Five-bed farmhouse with attached orchard and glamping site for sale
- 10 North Norfolk pub re-opens as a hotel