Bus drivers call off strike

Bus strikes which had threatened to disrupt services in Norwich next week were last night called off after progress between bosses and union representatives.

Bus strikes which had threatened to disrupt services in Norwich next week were last night called off after progress between bosses and union representatives.

Hundreds of bus drivers were due to strike on Monday - the second one-day action over pay this year that would have brought all services in and out of the city to a standstill.

Talks continued until 7pm and a joint statement from First and the Transport and General Workers' Union confirmed the industrial action had been called off.

The statement said: “First Eastern Counties and the Transport & General Workers Union have confirmed that much has been resolved but there are one or two issues that need further discussions. The talks will continue on Monday with both parties optimist that they are close to a mutually acceptable solution.”

Peter Iddon, managing director of First Eastern Counties, said: “We have resolved a number of issues and are optimistic that together we can find an agreement that will be acceptable both to our drivers and will allow us to grow the business and provide the quality of service that our customers deserve.

“This has to be a solution for the longer term to ensure we can develop the company in cooperation with all our staff.”

Most Read

Scott Higgins of the T&G said: “These are constructive discussions and we are reviewing matters that we feel are vital to the future, the job security and incomes of our members.

“We are approaching proposals from management with a positive attitude and hope that we can resolve all issues without industrial action.”