Sightseeing bus crashes into lamp post outside Norwich Theatre Royal
- Credit: Archant
A bus has been involved in a crash outside the Theatre Royal in Norwich.
Police were called to Theatre Street at 11.10am after reports a bus had crashed into a lamp post.
David McMaster, owner of Awaydays Norwich Sightseeing Bus, had just dropped off a party at the bus stop when the incident occurred.
He said no passengers were on the bus at the time.
'It was a bit of a panic,' he said. 'I had done a tour and was pulling away and the middle doors would not close.
'If that happens it doesn't go into gear. I physically closed the doors which put it into gear but unfortunately left the hand brake off.
'I had to run back because it was in gear without me at the drivers seat.'
- 1 Prince Harry's ex marries north Norfolk hotelier
- 2 'Like a Halloween scene' - huge caterpillar webs engulf hedges
- 3 Fears over town gridlock as years of A11 improvement works begin
- 4 'It's a nightmare' - Roadworks leave town 'gridlocked'
- 5 Princess Anne waves from Range Rover after landing in Wisbech
- 6 Weather warning as thunderstorms set to hit Norfolk
- 7 Mum killed in A47 collision was ‘walking to Norwich’, inquest hears
- 8 Villagers' anger after meadow is mowed causing 'destruction' of plants
- 9 Norfolk glamping site with natural pool named among UK's best newcomers
- 10 Classic vehicle day coming to stunning gardens this weekend
One nearby worker, who asked not to be named, said he heard the crash and saw the bus 'rolling' along the road from the bus stop.
'I saw the bus driver leaning over trying to control the bus to stop it going into the cars parked along the road,' he said.
'When I looked it was just rolling. It had hit a post by the pedestrian crossing.'
A spokesperson for Norfolk Constabulary said no one was injured. The bus has now been moved from the scene and the council highways team are attending to repair the post.