Burglar caught red-handed is jailed for a year
- Credit: Archant
Martham: A burglar caught red-handed by the homeowner still managed to escape through a window after he was locked in a utility room, while the owner phoned police, a court heard.
James Yeates, 42, who stole a number of items including a coin box and a debit card from the home in Martham, was later arrested, Norwich Crown Court heard.
Andrew Oliver, prosecuting, said in a police interview Yeates claimed he had been drunk at the time and could not remember much of the incident.
Yeates, of Willow Way, Martham, admitted burglary and was jailed for 12 months.
Sentencing him, Recorder Guy Ayers said the burglary was serious as he had broke into the home while the owner was there with his family.
You may also want to watch:
John Morgans, for Yeates said it was an unusual set of circumstances and said Yeates wanted to break his cycle of offending.
'When he is away from drink he is away from the courts.'
- 1 What can't open in Norfolk on May 17 - and why
- 2 Man, 89, was killed by lorry as he headed to his parents' grave
- 3 Go-ahead for eagles to be reintroduced to Norfolk
- 4 Norfolk seaside village third most sought-after in UK
- 5 'Absolutely horrific' - Girl, 14, kicked and punched in face in fight
- 6 Former Primark store goes up for rent
- 7 Ten Covid patients in Norfolk's hospitals means more restrictions should be eased
- 8 1,000 people book for Norwich restaurant's 'back out to help out' offer
- 9 Moment delivery driver walks through shop window
- 10 Drivers facing long delays on A146 due to roadworks