Burglar caught red-handed is jailed for a year
- Credit: Archant
Martham: A burglar caught red-handed by the homeowner still managed to escape through a window after he was locked in a utility room, while the owner phoned police, a court heard.
James Yeates, 42, who stole a number of items including a coin box and a debit card from the home in Martham, was later arrested, Norwich Crown Court heard.
Andrew Oliver, prosecuting, said in a police interview Yeates claimed he had been drunk at the time and could not remember much of the incident.
Yeates, of Willow Way, Martham, admitted burglary and was jailed for 12 months.
Sentencing him, Recorder Guy Ayers said the burglary was serious as he had broke into the home while the owner was there with his family.
John Morgans, for Yeates said it was an unusual set of circumstances and said Yeates wanted to break his cycle of offending.
'When he is away from drink he is away from the courts.'
- 1 'Absolute insanity' - Village' in massive backlash to homes plan
- 2 The most beautiful places to live in Norfolk - according to estate agents
- 3 Eight dogs up for adoption at a Norfolk rehoming centre
- 4 East Norfolk road closed with firefighters at the scene
- 5 'I listen to science': City folk hit back at anti-vax protests
- 6 Emergency services at scene of crash near A47 in Norwich
- 7 Mum describes heartache year on from daughter's tragic death
- 8 Builder of 15 years puts down tools and opens smokehouse restaurant
- 9 Police on hand as anti-vaccine protesters gather in city
- 10 Hope for WASPI women as MPs back compensation call