Broads pub Berney Arms up for sale
The future of an iconic Norfolk pub is up in the air after it was put up for sale by the owner.
The isolated Berney Arms, on the River Yare overlooking Breydon Water near Reedham, pulled its last pint about two weeks ago.
Only accessible by boat, train or foot, the curious pub has traditionally closed from the end of October through to March.
But estate agent TW Gaze confirmed the building had closed and it is understood the former landlords are no longer involved with the business either.
And while the remoteness of the pub is a draw for many, it may in fact make it hard for the agent to sell.
You may also want to watch:
The nearest road, the Acle Straight, is more than two miles away across Halvergate Marshes and its only neighbours are the waders on the RSPB's Berney Marsh reserve behind.
Local historian Sheila Hutchinson, 68, from Norwich, has written extensively about the history of the area and said she was disappointed with the latest closure.
- 1 'An insult to the city': Couple ditch 'hellhole' hotel after 45 minutes
- 2 Road cleared after overturned lorry on A47/A11 Thickthorn roundabout
- 3 Hundreds give amazing send-off to well-loved supermarket worker
- 4 Former Norwich boxing champion banned from contacting ex-partner
- 5 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after woman found dead in flat
- 6 New Lidl stores to open in Norfolk and Waveney in £1.3bn expansion
- 7 Travellers camped at garden centre car park
- 8 Historic railway platform building could be demolished in station revamp
- 9 Air ambulance called to person's aid in Dereham
- 10 GP warns surgery 'is at breaking point' due to village expansion
'It's sad to see it close, and up for sale,' she said. 'Now what I would like to see is some new people go in and make a go of it, but from the track record of the past few years I just don't know.'
Ms Hutchinson has close ties to the place as her great-grandmother used to live there before it became a pub.
One of her best known books, The River Yare: Breydon and Beyond, gives information about drainage mills and public houses between Breydon and Trowse, along with some details of shipping.
The pub's owner is currently abroad and unavailable for comment.
Do you know a pub which has recently closed? Email David Bale on email@example.com