Jobs programme gets Hellesdon mother work after 27 year break
- Credit: Archant
A Hellesdon woman has landed her first job after a career break of 27 years, thanks to the help of a tailor-made employment programme.
Having stayed at home to raise her family for more than a quarter of a century, Karen Dolby felt she had nothing to offer a prospective employer.
But just weeks after finishing the Broadland District Council Choices programme and one week after starting work experience, she got a permanent job with TLC Dinner Choices, which runs the cafes at the Sprowston Community Hub and the Vauxhall Centre in Norwich.
'I am really enjoying being back at work,' said Karen.
'It's meant a lot – it's given me my independence and now I am out at work everyone is helping out at home. My husband and children are really proud of me.'
A new course is starting on February 20 at the council's training centre, Carrowbreck House, in Hellesdon.
Anyone interested should contact Economic Development officer, Jane Bagley, on 01603 430449.
- 1 Meet the man behind a morbid new craze
- 2 Long stretch of A47 closed overnight due to crash
- 3 Norfolk pub gets booked up every Sunday for its roast dinner platters
- 4 18 sights you will remember from Norfolk in the 1980s
- 5 New operators take over at council-owned leisure centre
- 6 Villagers hope to take on land near their homes
- 7 Norwich venue offering Afternoon Cheese and it looks incredible
- 8 Renewed objections to demolition of pub empty for a decade
- 9 A47 reopens after serious crash
- 10 Custom-built six-bedroom home with indoor slide on the market for £900,000