Jobs programme gets Hellesdon mother work after 27 year break
- Credit: Archant
A Hellesdon woman has landed her first job after a career break of 27 years, thanks to the help of a tailor-made employment programme.
Having stayed at home to raise her family for more than a quarter of a century, Karen Dolby felt she had nothing to offer a prospective employer.
But just weeks after finishing the Broadland District Council Choices programme and one week after starting work experience, she got a permanent job with TLC Dinner Choices, which runs the cafes at the Sprowston Community Hub and the Vauxhall Centre in Norwich.
'I am really enjoying being back at work,' said Karen.
'It's meant a lot – it's given me my independence and now I am out at work everyone is helping out at home. My husband and children are really proud of me.'
You may also want to watch:
A new course is starting on February 20 at the council's training centre, Carrowbreck House, in Hellesdon.
Anyone interested should contact Economic Development officer, Jane Bagley, on 01603 430449.
- 1 Man, 89, was killed by lorry as he headed to his parents' grave
- 2 Norfolk seaside village third most sought-after in UK
- 3 'Absolutely horrific' - Girl, 14, kicked and punched in face in fight
- 4 What can't open in Norfolk on May 17 - and why
- 5 Go-ahead for eagles to be reintroduced to Norfolk
- 6 Former Primark store goes up for rent
- 7 Ten Covid patients in Norfolk's hospitals means more restrictions should be eased
- 8 1,000 people book for Norwich restaurant's 'back out to help out' offer
- 9 The rise and fall of a beloved Norfolk wildlife park
- 10 The magic moment Cantwell helps young fan touch trophy