Boris Johnson and Rishi Sunak to be fined over lockdown parties
- Credit: PA
Prime Minister Boris Johnson and Chancellor Rishi Sunak are to be fined by police for attending parties in lockdown.
Mr Johnson and Mr Sunak are among the people to be fined by the Metropolitan Police, which is investigating gatherings at Downing Street that breached the Covid regulations.
A Downing Street spokeswoman confirmed Mr Johnson and Mr Sunak are to be issued fixed penalty notices (FPNs).
The spokeswoman said: “The Prime Minister and Chancellor of the Exchequer have today received notification that the Metropolitan police intend to issue them with fixed penalty notices.
“We have no further details, but we will update you again when we do.”
More than 50 fines have been issued over the 'partygate' probe so far.
Scotland Yard said it was “making every effort to progress this investigation at speed”, with the possibility of more fines to come.
- 1 Weather warning as thunderstorms set to hit Norfolk
- 2 Fears over town gridlock as years of A11 improvement works begin
- 3 Green light for park and ride, drive throughs and offices near Norwich
- 4 'We will always miss you' - tributes to QEH pharmacist who died in A47 crash
- 5 Villagers' anger after meadow is mowed causing 'destruction' of plants
- 6 Prince Harry's ex marries north Norfolk hotelier
- 7 Tractor being used for A11 roadworks had faulty brakes
- 8 'It's a nightmare' - Roadworks leave town 'gridlocked'
- 9 Police called to 'altercation' between pupils at Norfolk school
- 10 'Like a Halloween scene' - huge caterpillar webs engulf hedges
The identities of people issued with FPNs have not been disclosed publicly by the Met, nor the event a fine relates to.
However, Downing Street had previously confirmed it would reveal if Mr Johnson had been fined.