Bollards installed as motorists exploit transformed North Walsham eyesore
No sooner had a notorious North Walsham eyesore been transformed into an attractive open space than some motorists decided to use it for free parking.
And so North Norfolk District Council (NNDC) has had to install three bollards in front of the former 4a Market Street to prevent vehicles entering.
The site of the former printer's and shop, which had stood empty and crumbling for more than a decade, has been landscaped by NNDC which stepped in after its out-of-town owner failed to act.
It now features York stone paving, trees and street lights, which cost NNDC £66,000.
But cars were seen to be parking on the opened up area, meant only for pedestrians, days after the work was completed.
You may also want to watch:
The landscaping has been hailed as a huge improvement to the sensitive site, framing a new view of North Walsham's grade one-listed parish church.
John Rest, NNDC's cabinet member for assets, said the feedback the council had received about the work had been 'extremely positive.'
- 1 County welcomes tankers but motorists continue to queue for fuel
- 2 Latest situation on fuel sees more queues despite continued assurances
- 3 Jailed in Norfolk: Paedophiles and man caught with £15k of cannabis
- 4 Revealed: Where most parking tickets have been issued in Norfolk
- 5 Roadworks to be aware of in Norfolk this week
- 6 'It's looking bleak' - City taxi firms respond to panic-buying at the pumps
- 7 Controversy reignited over 300 home scheme on edge of Norwich
- 8 Key workers share 'unnecessary and frustrating' impact of panic-buying
- 9 Former DJ and worker at Norfolk school was a 'deviant sexual predator'
- 10 Huge seaside home with indoor pool for sale for £600,000
He added: 'There has been an issue regarding parking on the newly-laid stone. The surface could be damaged by this and the bollards erected adjacent to the main thoroughfare aim to discourage that.'
The bollards have not added anything to the project's costs, according to NNDC.