Body of man in his 80s found in River Wensum
- Credit: Archant
Police have confirmed that a body found in the River Wensum on Tuesday is that of a man in his 80s.
Police were called shortly after 8am to Bridge Street, Fakenham, near the Wensum Lodge Hotel to reports of a body found in the river.
The body, believed to be a local man aged in his 80s, was recovered with assistance from Norfolk Fire and Rescue Service and next of kin have been informed.
The death is not believed to be suspicious and a file will be prepared for Her Majesty's Coroner.
The ambulance service was also on the scene and a cordon was in place while the incident was being dealt with, however this has now been lifted.
You may also want to watch:
Mayor of Fakenham George Acheson has expressed sadness at the news and said: 'I am very sorry to hear of this. We don't know much about it yet.'
The Wensum Lodge Hotel opened as usual while emergency services were on the scene.
- 1 Two men in critical condition as multiple people stabbed
- 2 Fire crews rush to a crash near Norfolk village
- 3 Police swoop on Norwich address
- 4 Mum's heartfelt tribute to daughter who died in A47 collision
- 5 Secluded Broads farmhouse in almost 11 acres goes up for sale
- 6 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 7 Asda and Amazon urgently recall items due to safety concerns
- 8 Norwich cat torturer who murdered pensioner ‘planned to carry on killing’
- 9 Plans for seven new supermarkets in Norfolk - but where will they be?
- 10 Police called after elderly, sick seal attacked with stones
Ashley Ward who owns nearby business Ward's Timber and Hardware said: 'We saw all the vehicles go down there, the paramedic and fire engines with big canoes on the back.
'We thought it was an exercise at first until someone told us otherwise.'