Body of man in his 80s found in River Wensum
- Credit: Archant
Police have confirmed that a body found in the River Wensum on Tuesday is that of a man in his 80s.
Police were called shortly after 8am to Bridge Street, Fakenham, near the Wensum Lodge Hotel to reports of a body found in the river.
The body, believed to be a local man aged in his 80s, was recovered with assistance from Norfolk Fire and Rescue Service and next of kin have been informed.
The death is not believed to be suspicious and a file will be prepared for Her Majesty's Coroner.
The ambulance service was also on the scene and a cordon was in place while the incident was being dealt with, however this has now been lifted.
You may also want to watch:
Mayor of Fakenham George Acheson has expressed sadness at the news and said: 'I am very sorry to hear of this. We don't know much about it yet.'
The Wensum Lodge Hotel opened as usual while emergency services were on the scene.
- 1 Jailed in Norfolk this week: a corrupt police officer and a domestic abuser
- 2 All the major Christmas events in Norfolk that can go ahead
- 3 Water outages hit homes across city
- 4 'Gutted' - Thieves take BMW wheels leaving car on bricks
- 5 Town in mourning as nightclub owner who 'loved everybody' dies at 49
- 6 People released from car after crash closes road
- 7 Person freed from vehicle after crash on A140
- 8 Road remains closed after serious crash on A143
- 9 'There was a massive bang' - Fire outside Norwich coffee shop
- 10 Man in 70s dies in A143 crash
Ashley Ward who owns nearby business Ward's Timber and Hardware said: 'We saw all the vehicles go down there, the paramedic and fire engines with big canoes on the back.
'We thought it was an exercise at first until someone told us otherwise.'