Body found in Beeston
Police are investigating whether a body found in a ditch on some Norfolk farmland today is that of an elderly man reported missing a few days ago. A passer by found the man and his car in a dyke behind farm buildings belonging to Norfolk Farm Produce in Herne Lane, Beeston, near Dereham.
Police are investigating whether a body found in a ditch on some Norfolk farmland today is that of an elderly man reported missing a few days ago.
A passer by found the man and his car in a dyke behind farm buildings belonging to Norfolk Farm Produce in Herne Lane, Beeston, near Dereham.
Police believe it to be a 76-year-old man from the village who they have been looking for since Monday .
Sgt Mick Chipperfield, of Dereham Police, said: "The man's car had come off a remote track.
"It seems the car had left the track and fallen in the water-filled ditch.
"The man was not in the car but he was still in the water. He had obviously managed to get out of his vehicle but for some reason could not get out of the ditch."
- 1 Restaurant apologises after boy hospitalised with allergic reaction
- 2 Heaven & Hell: David Whiteley and Amelia Reynolds
- 3 Where the streets have no cars... the community that banned the school run
- 4 'God's waiting room' - Norfolk town is country's pensioner hotspot
- 5 Revamped 'hidden gem' restaurant hoping to put village on map for food
- 6 World record? 24 ducklings spotted waddling through Norfolk village
- 7 Former vicarage set in one acre is up for sale - and it needs some TLC
- 8 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 9 Fake chefs deliver out-of-date lasagne to Carrow Road ahead of Spurs clash
- 10 Cyclist airlifted to hospital with serious injuries following incident
He added: "At the moment we are not treating the death as suspicious.
"We are treating it as a tragic accident."
The man is believed to be from the Herne Lane area, near where his body was found.
It is thought that his neighbour contacted the police on Monday because he had not been seen since Saturday and he had not answered his telephone.
Police retrieved the body at about 2pm this afternoon , with the help of fire and ambulance crews.
The man's body is still to be identified by his next of kin.
Anybody with information should call Norfolk Police on 0845 4564567.