Bodies of Wood Dalling couple Philip and MaryAnne Townsend released for burial

The bodies of a Norfolk couple who died from carbon monoxide poisoning at their holiday home in Estonia have been released for burial, after an inquest was opened and adjourned in Norwich today.

Banker Philip Townsend, 55, and his 52-year-old wife MaryAnne, of Wood Dalling Hall, near Aylsham, were staying at the converted barn near the town of Valga when the accident happened on February 24.

Today's inquest heard that their bodies were found at 10am in a utility room that housed two generators.

A post mortem examination was carried out in Estonia and the causes of death were given as carbon monoxide poisoning.

Norfolk coroner William Armstrong released the bodies for burial. He said their deaths were not being treated as suspicious by the Estonian authorities and there was no evidence of suicide.

'All the indications are that these deaths were the result of a tragic accident,' he said.

The inquests were adjourned to a date to be fixed.

Most Read

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter