Blood donors recognised for saving up to 975 lives
- Credit: Archant
Four blood donors have been recognised for their selfless good deeds, after reaching significant milestones.
Between them Molly Buckingham, of Beccles, Myrtle Haken, of Halesworth, Sue Hardy, from Frostenden, and Jonathan Vander-Molen, from Halesworth, have potentially saved up to 975 lives by giving blood regularly.
This week the four were among 70 blood donors from across Suffolk and Essex who were honoured at a ceremony at Ipswich Town Football Club by NHS Blood and Transplant.
Mrs Haken received a crystal award for 100 donations, while Mrs Buckingham, Ms Hardy and Mr Vander-Molen got an award for 75.
Ms Hardy, whose mother and grandmother were both treated for leukaemia, said: 'Towards the end of her life, my grandmother received blood transfusions. Seeing the benefits to her, my mother registered as a blood donor and I registered as soon as I was old enough. It's a small thing to do which can have untold benefits.'
You may also want to watch:
Mr Vander-Molen, who was motivated to register as a donor when a friend's father had leukaemia, said: 'I have continued giving blood so many times as I wanted to help others and I also had a brother who had leukaemia. It's a simple thing to do that makes a difference to others.'
Last month it was revealed that the EDP's New Blood campaign managed to recruit 939 people in Norfolk and north Suffolk to be blood donors.
- 1 Atlantis Tower up for sale after owner signs ‘outrageous’ loan deal
- 2 9 of Norfolk's most famous blue plaques
- 3 Drink driver arrested after crashing into two trees in Norwich
- 4 Covid rates continue to fall across Norfolk, especially in Norwich
- 5 Jack-knifed lorry shuts A148 as police issue ice warning
- 6 Centre takes action after IT failure causes long queues for Covid jab
- 7 Norfolk woman fined after travelling 200 miles to visit daughter
- 8 Out on the beat - we join police Covid patrol on the seafront
- 9 Map reveals the most serious crashes on the NDR since it fully opened
- 10 Yellow weather warning for snow in place across region
For more information call 0300 123 23 23 or visit www.blood.co.uk