Bizarre yellow ‘spider’ spotted on grass banks outside Norwich Castle
- Credit: Archant
A bizarre yellow machine caught the eye of shoppers in Norwich as it made its way up and down the grass banks outside Norwich Castle.
The Ransomes Spider mower was purchased by Norse Norwich, who are contracted to carry out work for Norwich City Council, to help maintain grass on steep banks in the city and it was used for the first time at Norwich Castle on Tuesday.
The machine is completely remote-controlled and Eddie Jack, field sales manager at Ernest Doe, said this makes it a lot safer for people working on steep banks.
'The main benefit of the spider machine is that it is a lot safer to use then having people manually cut the grass with strimmers whilst they are harnessed to prevent them falling down the bank,' he said. 'Usually it would take around two weeks to cut all the grass around the castle but this machine can do it in four days.'
The cutting of the grass at Norwich Castle was being carried out ahead of the Lord Mayor's Celebration in July which will see fireworks launched from the castle.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Motorcyclist dies in crash on A11
- 2 GP surgery in special measures after inspectors find range of faults
- 3 Electric vehicle owners could have to pay £50 to run cables to cars
- 4 Driver dies in crash on A47
- 5 Indian restaurant in Norfolk nominated for two national awards
- 6 Vintage tractor enthusiast's prized collection goes under the hammer
- 7 Britain's poshest train returning to Norwich for Christmas lunch
- 8 Your favourite pub, café, restaurant and hotel in Norfolk revealed
- 9 End of an era as hardware store closes after 60 years
- 10 Woman who was found with maggots living in hand evicted from care home