Big Lottery Fund grant sees Lowestoft students getting active
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2016
Students at a Lowestoft school have been limbering up and getting active thanks to new exercise equipment funded by the Big Lottery Fund.
A grant of £9,600 has been awarded to Ormiston Denes Academy which has been invested in new fitness equipment to encourage students to exercise and learn further about how to live a healthy lifestyle.
Michael Lewis, physical education teacher at Ormiston Denes Academy, said:
'Pupils have been receiving inductions, during PE lessons, on how to use the new equipment and to try it out.
'Ideally it is aimed at the younger year groups but it is open to all ages and it is hoped this will promote a healthy and active lifestyle to the students.'
The new installation at the school features a range of equipment, applying to multiple muscle groups, including an exercise bike and leg press.
Around £20.1 million has been shared among 734 organisations across the country, in the latest round of grant awards from the Big Lottery Fund.
- 1 Norfolk man amongst UK's 12 most wanted
- 2 Doctors baffled by teenager's horrific long Covid symptoms
- 3 'Once in a lifetime catch' - man lands monster fish in Norfolk
- 4 Council leader arrested after suspected drink driving on Christmas Day
- 5 Music-loving dad whose ashes were fired into festival crowd took own life
- 6 Revealed: Travelodge behind multi-million pound hotel development
- 7 Norfolk village named among poshest places to live in the UK
- 8 Man who survived motorcycle crash died from Covid, inquest told
- 9 Man threatened to petrol bomb ex-partner's home
- 10 Hot tub wrecked after car smashes through garden wall from Wilkos car park
Year-8 student, Lucas Mendonca, 12, explained: 'Before the new equipment was installed it was just an empty space really, now it looks better and it is cool for people to do something rather than just standing around at break times.'
Kevin Oldman, premises and facilities manager at Ormiston Denes Academy, added: 'The funding has allowed the academy to install outdoor gym equipment within our social spaces, ensuring the equipment is accessible to both our students and the local community via our Community Sports Centre.
'Outdoor gym equipment is an ideal way to introduce users of all ages into a regular and varied fitness routine, encouraging gentle workouts across multiple muscle groups.
'We would like to extend our thanks to the Big Lottery as we continue to enhance our community provision.'
Do you have a Lowestoft story?
Email email@example.com or call 01502 525820.