‘Big interest’ in arrival of F-35 Lightning stealth jets to Norfolk
- Credit: Ian Burt
An RAF station is anticipating 'a big interest' when Britain's cutting-edge F-35 Lightning stealth fighter jets touch down on UK soil.
The UK's supersonic aircraft could arrive at RAF Marham any time from Tuesday, though the exact date is yet to be confirmed and will depend on a number of factors including the weather.
Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson announced last month that the warplanes, manufactured in America, would arrive in the UK in June.
Many locals and plane enthusiasts are also expected to turn out to see the aircraft touch down. Norfolk Police said no road closures are currently planned.
While the station could not put a figure on how many people might attend, a spokesman said: 'We're anticipating there will be a big interest.'
Nicola Billington, 34, of Marham, said: 'We're looking to come out to see the F-35s arrive. I think it's a great thing.'
- 1 'Squatter' couple become legal owners of land as saga continues
- 2 Broads pub once visited by Chelsea players shuts for good
- 3 Tributes to 'kind and caring' Norwich man with a love of chess and walking
- 4 'Like touching grim reaper's nose': Teenager lucky to be alive after crash
- 5 Norfolk's oldest woman dies, aged 110
- 6 Bid to build 70-bed care home and 24 affordable houses
- 7 Body found in woods near Mildenhall
- 8 Norfolk car dealership and MOT centre named among best in the country
- 9 Fury at bikers' who rode over dead seal pup
- 10 Fire crews called to house fire in north Norfolk