Big Andy opens strongman gym in Dereham
- Credit: Ian Burt
If you want to compete in the world's strongest man competition, then 'Big' Andy Clarke thinks he can help.
The competitive strongman knows what training and skills are needed to be the best, and he believes that strongmen across the county can get that little bit extra at his new gym.
Big Andy's Gym, in Swaffham Hill, Dereham, has opened this week.
Mr Clarke said: 'This is the only strongman gym in Norfolk that is run by a competitive strongman.
'Most are run by corporate people or businessmen.
'While I'm hiring the building, I have spent about £15,000 on all the equipment.
'If you've watched the world's strongest man on TV, all the stuff and gym equipment you would have seen on that, is in the gym.
- 1 PICTURES: The best-dressed punters at Fakenham Ladies Day
- 2 Two Norfolk seaside hotels named among the best in Britain
- 3 Breakup and burglary! Couple's chaos after £101m win on Euromillions
- 4 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 5 City councillor investigated after Facebook golliwog post complaint
- 6 Michael McIntyre and Robert Rinder spotted at Carrow Road
- 7 Norfolk police officer goes on the run to win £100,000 on Hunted
- 8 Fly-tipping mattresses costs mother and son over £1,000
- 9 Eleventh McDonald's drive-thru could be set for Norwich
- 10 Greyhound saved from euthanasia among five dogs looking for homes
'I'm a competitive strongman so I know what other strongmen need to train for strongest man competitions.
'I have won three titles this year and came third in England, so I know what is expected.
'While a lot of what you need is strength, you will be useless if you don't have the technique.'
Mr Clarke won Kent's strongest man, placed third in Elite England strongest man and also won the South-east England's strongest man.
He is also a qualifier for Britain's strongest man.
The gym, which will also run fitness/circuit classes, will be open from 9am to 8pm daily from Monday to Friday and from 9am to 3pm on Sundays.
Do you have a Dereham story? Email email@example.com