Big Andy opens strongman gym in Dereham
- Credit: Ian Burt
If you want to compete in the world's strongest man competition, then 'Big' Andy Clarke thinks he can help.
The competitive strongman knows what training and skills are needed to be the best, and he believes that strongmen across the county can get that little bit extra at his new gym.
Big Andy's Gym, in Swaffham Hill, Dereham, has opened this week.
Mr Clarke said: 'This is the only strongman gym in Norfolk that is run by a competitive strongman.
'Most are run by corporate people or businessmen.
You may also want to watch:
'While I'm hiring the building, I have spent about £15,000 on all the equipment.
'If you've watched the world's strongest man on TV, all the stuff and gym equipment you would have seen on that, is in the gym.
- 1 Six North Norfolk beaches awarded blue flag status for summer 2021
- 2 Woman hurt in hit-and-run crash near school
- 3 Disabled driver fined £60 for stopping to clean windscreen at hospital
- 4 City step up Skipp Spurs chase
- 5 Norfolk campsite voted third best in UK
- 6 Waiting game for parkrun lovers as one Norfolk event closes
- 7 Man living in hotel after sewage floods bathroom in 'uninhabitable' flat
- 8 'Very small' number of Indian Covid variant cases in Norfolk
- 9 Tax inspectors probe 240 furlough fraud cases in Norfolk and Suffolk
- 10 Pub ordered to pay £23.5k compensation to sacked disabled worker
'I'm a competitive strongman so I know what other strongmen need to train for strongest man competitions.
'I have won three titles this year and came third in England, so I know what is expected.
'While a lot of what you need is strength, you will be useless if you don't have the technique.'
Mr Clarke won Kent's strongest man, placed third in Elite England strongest man and also won the South-east England's strongest man.
He is also a qualifier for Britain's strongest man.
The gym, which will also run fitness/circuit classes, will be open from 9am to 8pm daily from Monday to Friday and from 9am to 3pm on Sundays.
Do you have a Dereham story? Email firstname.lastname@example.org