Bid to build link road and 500 new homes gets mixed response
- Credit: Archant
The bid to build a major housing development and link road in King's Lynn ran into strong opposition yesterday at a public event.
Scores of local residents gathered at the public consultation event to showcase the proposed plans for the new road and more than 500 new homes.
King's Lynn and West Norfolk Borough Council hopes to build the properties across two sites off Marsh Lane and an area of sports pitches at Lynnsport.
But the plans have been met with a mixed response since being unveiled to the public at the end of last year.
Concerns about the proposals include:
You may also want to watch:
? The lack of services such as schools, doctors surgeries and dentists.
? Loss of open green space in the area around Lynnsport.
- 1 Two Norfolk villages named among most beautiful to visit in England
- 2 Roads flooded on east coast after heavy rain
- 3 Man put hidden camera in bedroom to spy on wife
- 4 Driver taken to hospital after four-car crash on key road into Norwich
- 5 Man in critical condition after being stabbed in Thetford
- 6 Machinery sale marks end of family's 100-year farming history
- 7 Robbers knock out boy, 14, and steal trainers from his feet
- 8 Unlikely new use for city's Samson and Hercules building
- 9 Linnets turn down £100,000 bid for midfielder
- 10 Norfolk social worker loses race discrimination case
? Opposition to the idea of installing bollards in Marsh Lane to calm traffic.
James Doig, of White Sedge, who attended yesterday's public consultation session at Lynnsport, said: 'I am not against development in the area but we don't need this in this part of town.
'The old infrastructure in place at the moment would simply not cope with such a major development.
'I like this area how it is now. I can let my eight-year-old daughter cycle to Lynnsport and not worry about her. I certainly couldn't let her do that if all this goes ahead.
'It would also mean that The Walks would be the only open green space in the area – and that's flooded at the moment.'
Public consultation was recently extended until January 16.
Sam Patel, who owns the N&N convenience store in Marsh Lane, has set up his own petition against the proposals.
He said: 'I'm here because the bollards that are being proposed for Marsh Lane would ruin my business.
'The idea at the moment is they're thinking of blocking Marsh Lane off and there's a whole section of trade in that area that I would lose.'
He added: 'I put all my livelihood and money into my business and if the council refuses to recognise that then I will have to end up closing the shop.'
Andy Tyler, a local borough councillor, said: 'There are a lot of concerns about this development.
'It's important that everyone's views are taken into account as part of this consultation process.'
What do you think about the homes and road plan? Email firstname.lastname@example.org