Beccles Rocky Horror screening cancelled just weeks after venue change

The Rocky Horror Show screening has been cancelled in Beccles.

The Rocky Horror Show screening has been cancelled in Beccles. - Credit: Archant

A screening of the Rocky Horror Show which was forced to change venue has now been cancelled altogether.

The event, organised by Kulture Shock - a movie and collectable store in Beccles - was originally scheduled to take place at St Michael's Church in the town. But after some members of the congregation complained the church was not a suitable venue, the event was moved to Sir John Leman High School last month.

However, due to a lack of ticket sales, the event has now been cancelled altogether - a week before it was due to take place.

Richard Stubbings from Kulture Shock said: 'We felt that the change of venue certainly didn't help. It happened half way through the marketing, we had to stop everything, reprint everything and contact everybody who had bought tickets.

'It also didn't help because St Michael's is a lovely church, it would have added a lot of atmosphere, it was a draw in itself and it's so centrally located.'

The evening was to be hosted by Patricia Quinn, who played Magenta in the original stage and film versions and said she was disappointed the event had been cancelled.

'I'm so upset for Kulture Shock,' she said. 'For all the money they had already spent on the posters and advertising which they've lost.

Most Read

'And I'm sorry I didn't get to see Beccles.'

She recently appeared in front of 6,000 people at the Royal Albert Hall for a showing of the film to celebrate Rocky Horror's 40th anniversary.

In the cult classic, which is the longest running film in cinema history, a young couple discover the eerie mansion of a transvestite scientist after their car breaks down and after going inside for help run into several wild characters.

For the screening, film-goers were encouraged to go along dressed as their favourite character.

The church initially gave permission to host the event, but some of the congregation then began to express concerns.

Mark Bee, county councillor for Beccles and a member of the St Michael's congregation, previously spoke out to defend the decision to change venue, raising concerns about the event being held before the first Sunday in Advent and in a sacred space.

Speaking this week he said: 'I'm sorry that the event has had to be cancelled, but it hasn't been for want of free publicity.

'Any production that may raise eyebrows, as this did, should have been discussed more widely.

'I would go to the wire to defend the rights of transgender people and people suffering any kind of prejudice. It's not about that at all, all people are welcome to come to the parish church.

'It's about the type of event that was being organised.'

Mr Stubbings said he did not believe the negative attention surrounding the change in venue had stopped people buying tickets, and praised those in the town who supported it.

'I think there's a lot of support for this kind of event in principle, even if they didn't want to go to it because it's not their cup of tea.'

David Crothers, also from Kulture Shock, added: 'We're very disappointed we had to cancel Rocky Horror. While it had an immense amount of publicity it wasn't the positive publicity such an event deserved.'

The organisers have already contacted those who bought tickets for the event.

•What do you think? Write giving your full name and contact details to Beccles and Bungay Journal Letters, 20 Blyburgate, Beccles, NR34 9TB or email bbj.letters@archant.co.uk.