Beccles Lido team launch campaign to raise £110,000 to improve pool facilities
- Credit: Nick Butcher
Residents, businesses and organisations are being urged to plunge their support into a campaign to raise over £100,000 for new facilities at Beccles' outdoor swimming pool.
The team at Beccles Lido have issued the appeal to replace the current portakabin toilets with a modern toilet block and changing facility.
The work is expected to cost £110,000 and will improve the experience for the thousands of visitors who enjoy the lido each summer.
Shaun Crowley, chief executive of Beccles Lido Limited, announced the project at the recent open meeting at Beccles Public Hall, where the proposed plans were available for comments.
He said: 'Not only does the planning permission run out for the existing facilities this year, but they are more than 20 years old and long past being fit for purpose.'
You may also want to watch:
The Lido has some funds of its own to put towards the project, and the rest of the money will need to be raised through grant funding and donations.
Lido director Suzanne Gibbons said: 'We have been very successful in our fundraising efforts in the past, but this is the biggest project we have undertaken to date. We need £110,000, and in order to satisfy large grant organisations that we have local community support we are hoping to kick-start our campaign with £10,000 raised from local organisations and individuals.'
- 1 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 2 Five former MoD homes go up for sale near Norwich
- 3 Two fires in two hours on mid-Norfolk road
- 4 MP and parents concerned over traffic and parking chaos outside school
- 5 Family forced to live in tent after maggots and rats found in home
- 6 Blind woman 'humiliated' as restaurant turns her away due to her guide dog
- 7 Christmas Lights Walk with toasted marshmallows coming to garden
- 8 Roadside restaurant aiming to re-open before Christmas
- 9 Seal charity to take 'unprecendented' action to protect Norfolk seal colony
- 10 Four-car crash leaves pregnant woman in hospital
And Beccles Rotary Club has kicked off the fundraising with a donation of £500 towards the scheme. Club president Neil Peek presented the check to Mrs Gibbons and fellow director Maureen Saunders.
He said: 'Community fundraising forms a large part of what the Rotary does and we are delighted to help Beccles Lido with this worthy community project.'
Mrs Gibbons added: 'It's amazing how quickly grants and donations like this one add up and the Rotary Club's donation is a fantastic start! Although if we are to meet our target of raising the funds this summer then we will need some larger grants and donations as well.'
Anyone who is able to help can contact the Lido on 01502 714911 or email email@example.com. You can view and comment on the proposed new facilities by visiting www.beccleslido.com where there is also a link to the Lido's Virgin Money Giving page.
The pool will re-open on Saturday, May 27, and anyone who would like to get involved as a volunteer can get in touch using the details above.