Beccles group gears up for 26-mile walk in aid of charity close to their hearts
- Credit: Archant
A group of 23 people from Beccles will be walking up to 26 miles to raise money for the MS Society this weekend.
The charity event was set up by Lynsey Wright in memory of her mother Judy Ellwood who was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis (MS) at the age of 44. She died in September 2015, aged 64.
The group, which includes friends of Mrs Wright and her mum, had originally set a target of raising £500, however they have smashed their goal and already have over £2,000 in the fundraising pot.
Mrs Wright said: 'The MS left my mum her bedbound for many years but she was amazingly strong and courageous throughout it.
'I am so grateful to everyone who is joining us on the day and who has supported us throughout this.'
You may also want to watch:
The group will be setting off from Beccles Town Football Club's nest at 7am on Saturday morning. They will be walking to Nicholas Everitt Park along the river and back, before doing part of the marsh trail and ending up back at the nest at around 3pm.
Some of the group will be completing all 26 miles, with others doing 20, 16, 10 or six miles.
- 1 Tax inspectors probe 240 furlough fraud cases in Norfolk and Suffolk
- 2 Norfolk campsite voted third best in UK
- 3 Driver in hospital after BMW car ends up in ditch
- 4 9 pubs and restaurants which have had lockdown makeovers
- 5 'Very small' number of Indian Covid variant cases in Norfolk
- 6 Lorry driver admits causing deaths of two people in A47 crash
- 7 Hospital opens new £625,000 cancer wellbeing and support centre
- 8 Road cleared after three-vehicle collision on A47
- 9 Norfolk covid levels below national average but concerns raised about variants
- 10 Social distancing stops fish and chip shop's restaurant opening on May 17
Following the sponsored walk a charity meal has been arranged in Beccles which is set to be a sell-out event, and donations of raffle prizes would be gratefully received.
To sponsor the team visit their JustGiving page