Beccles group gears up for 26-mile walk in aid of charity close to their hearts
- Credit: Archant
A group of 23 people from Beccles will be walking up to 26 miles to raise money for the MS Society this weekend.
The charity event was set up by Lynsey Wright in memory of her mother Judy Ellwood who was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis (MS) at the age of 44. She died in September 2015, aged 64.
The group, which includes friends of Mrs Wright and her mum, had originally set a target of raising £500, however they have smashed their goal and already have over £2,000 in the fundraising pot.
Mrs Wright said: 'The MS left my mum her bedbound for many years but she was amazingly strong and courageous throughout it.
'I am so grateful to everyone who is joining us on the day and who has supported us throughout this.'
The group will be setting off from Beccles Town Football Club's nest at 7am on Saturday morning. They will be walking to Nicholas Everitt Park along the river and back, before doing part of the marsh trail and ending up back at the nest at around 3pm.
Some of the group will be completing all 26 miles, with others doing 20, 16, 10 or six miles.
- 1 M&S to close 32 stores as part of move away from town centres
- 2 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 3 Where you can see the Red Arrows over Norfolk this weekend
- 4 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 5 8 places where you can see fireworks for free in Norfolk for the jubilee
- 6 Neighbours shock at ‘unexplained’ sudden death of woman
- 7 Norfolk holiday home named one of the best in the UK
- 8 WATCH: 'Unplayable' delivery from Suffolk bowler goes viral
- 9 'Our homes will be destroyed' - Neighbours' fears over proposed pylon route
- 10 Man dies of collapsed lung after 'busy' hospital meant x-ray was missed
Following the sponsored walk a charity meal has been arranged in Beccles which is set to be a sell-out event, and donations of raffle prizes would be gratefully received.
To sponsor the team visit their JustGiving page