Beccles couple tie the knot after 33 year romance
They say good things come to those that wait.
And for Beccles couple Robert and Vera Whittle that old adage certainly rang true yesterday after they got married following a 33 year romance.
There were tears and warm rounds of applause as Robert, 84 and Vera, 93, tied the knot in front of delighted friends and family at Beccles' St Luke's Church.
With a combined aged of 177 it was understandable that the devoted couple sat throughout their wedding ceremony, which was conducted by the Rev John Beauchamp and attended by about 30 people.
There was not a dry eye in the house when at the end of the service the new Mrs Whittle, nee Lawrence, told the delighted audience: 'This is the happiest day of my life and it has been a long one and a happy one.'
Robert and Vera, who live in St Mary's Green, Ballygate, met through a Beccles bowls club and their relationship blossomed after they were paired up in competitions.
After 33 years together, Vera proposed to Robert five weeks ago as a way to cement their relationship by pledging their enduring love to each other.
- 1 Man charged with murder of 19-year-old daughter
- 2 Revealed: No one has paid £10,000 fines issued for breaking Covid rules
- 3 Father in court charged with murder of his teen daughter
- 4 Father and son in court charged with murder of man
- 5 Concerns raised over fate of junior school site
- 6 Parking charges at city parks has raised £0
- 7 Two men charged with murder after death in Downham Market
- 8 Farm launching wild camping with breakfast hampers and street food nights
- 9 Former Norwich restaurant to be transformed into £1.5m food hall
- 10 Four Norfolk gastropubs named among best in UK
During yesterday's wedding ceremony Rev Beauchamp praised the couple's relationship. He said their bungalow was a 'place filled with the light of love'.
Rev Beauchamp told them: 'Today is a special moment in your journey together.'
After the service Robert, who has two children, said he was 'very very happy' to have got married and his wife said it had been a 'lovely day'.
Before the wedding Rev Beauchamp said he had never married anyone in their 90s before - although he had married people in their 80s
He said: 'It is absolutely fantastic that after 33 years together they have taken the decision to get married. They are a very lovely couple.'