Beccles couple tie the knot after 33 year romance
They say good things come to those that wait.
And for Beccles couple Robert and Vera Whittle that old adage certainly rang true yesterday after they got married following a 33 year romance.
There were tears and warm rounds of applause as Robert, 84 and Vera, 93, tied the knot in front of delighted friends and family at Beccles' St Luke's Church.
With a combined aged of 177 it was understandable that the devoted couple sat throughout their wedding ceremony, which was conducted by the Rev John Beauchamp and attended by about 30 people.
There was not a dry eye in the house when at the end of the service the new Mrs Whittle, nee Lawrence, told the delighted audience: 'This is the happiest day of my life and it has been a long one and a happy one.'
You may also want to watch:
Robert and Vera, who live in St Mary's Green, Ballygate, met through a Beccles bowls club and their relationship blossomed after they were paired up in competitions.
After 33 years together, Vera proposed to Robert five weeks ago as a way to cement their relationship by pledging their enduring love to each other.
- 1 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: LIVE Results
- 2 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 3 Three adorable abandoned day-old kittens adopted by stray
- 4 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: County council election results
- 5 Housing firms slammed for removing trees and hedgerows 'in error'
- 6 Iconic seafront property sold as £50,000 donated to lifeboats
- 7 Antiques Road Trip films at Norfolk collectables shop
- 8 Police hunt for missing Beccles man
- 9 'Shocking destruction' - fury over removal of trees at walking spot
- 10 Woman left with bite wounds following dog attack
During yesterday's wedding ceremony Rev Beauchamp praised the couple's relationship. He said their bungalow was a 'place filled with the light of love'.
Rev Beauchamp told them: 'Today is a special moment in your journey together.'
After the service Robert, who has two children, said he was 'very very happy' to have got married and his wife said it had been a 'lovely day'.
Before the wedding Rev Beauchamp said he had never married anyone in their 90s before - although he had married people in their 80s
He said: 'It is absolutely fantastic that after 33 years together they have taken the decision to get married. They are a very lovely couple.'