Beccles Carnival 2017 day one: Carnival fever looks set to sweep quayside
- Credit: Eastern Daily Press © 2016
Darling doggies, bonny babies and fabulous fancy dress will be among the star attractions today, as carnival fever gets set to grip Beccles.
Beccles Carnival Weekend, the annual event that transforms the quayside into a haven of family fun, gets under way this afternoon, with day one of the event boasting a line-up jam-packed of activities.
The entertainment kicks off at 1pm, with the event's grand opening seeing Miss Beccles Samantha Chapman getting the event under way, along wish her prince and princess attendants, Josh Brabben, Esme Jermany and Lily Gordon.
The afternoon will then see a hotpot of entertainment, with a performance from Stagecoach at 1.15, fun and games with the carnival team at 2.30pm and a series of competitions to enter.
These will include the traditional fancy dress competition and the Beccles Bonny Baby competition.
You may also want to watch:
There will also be performances in the arena from the Kessingland amateur dramatics group (3.45pm) before children and adult races at 4pm.
Then, at 4.30pm focus will shift from those on two legs, to those on four with wagging tails, as the fun dog show returns to the carnival for the second year running.
- 1 Police action over 'slavery' flag flying in Norwich garden
- 2 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 3 'Shocked' couple almost given wrong Covid jab
- 4 Owners put Tudor mansion wedding venue up for sale for £3.9m
- 5 'It was divine' - Why this seafood platter is receiving rave reviews online
- 6 Safety review promised as cyclist killed in crash is named
- 7 Garage owner has five months to clear site or face jail
- 8 Music-lovers' pub could be demolished for 23 flats
- 9 Bar splashes out £500,000 on outdoor dining area
- 10 Firefighters tackle 'deliberate' house fire
Prizes for pooches include best puppy, most handsome dog and prettiest bitch.
The two day event will also see the return of Beccles Quay Rocks, with live music from the Fortunate Sons at 6pm, followed by the Stereotypes and the Catch 22.
For the first time, there will also be a new fun zone at the event, which will replace last year's fun fair, which will remain open throughout the day and event.
Are you going to the event today? Email your pictures to firstname.lastname@example.org