Beccles Carnival 2017 day one: Carnival fever looks set to sweep quayside
- Credit: Eastern Daily Press © 2016
Darling doggies, bonny babies and fabulous fancy dress will be among the star attractions today, as carnival fever gets set to grip Beccles.
Beccles Carnival Weekend, the annual event that transforms the quayside into a haven of family fun, gets under way this afternoon, with day one of the event boasting a line-up jam-packed of activities.
The entertainment kicks off at 1pm, with the event's grand opening seeing Miss Beccles Samantha Chapman getting the event under way, along wish her prince and princess attendants, Josh Brabben, Esme Jermany and Lily Gordon.
The afternoon will then see a hotpot of entertainment, with a performance from Stagecoach at 1.15, fun and games with the carnival team at 2.30pm and a series of competitions to enter.
These will include the traditional fancy dress competition and the Beccles Bonny Baby competition.
There will also be performances in the arena from the Kessingland amateur dramatics group (3.45pm) before children and adult races at 4pm.
Then, at 4.30pm focus will shift from those on two legs, to those on four with wagging tails, as the fun dog show returns to the carnival for the second year running.
- 1 Broads Authority moves to prosecute pub over caravans - again
- 2 Part of A47 closed in both directions after crash
- 3 See inside this idyllic family home up for sale with NO nearby neighbours
- 4 EXCLUSIVE: The faces behind City's prospective US investment
- 5 Man claims supermarket fuel was contaminated as he reveals £200 repair bill
- 6 Former coastal restaurant up for auction
- 7 Thousands expected to attend huge four-day steam extravaganza
- 8 M&S to close 32 stores as part of move away from town centres
- 9 Motorcylist in 50s in hospital with serious injuries after tyre shop crash
- 10 Multiple fire crews tackle farm blaze overnight
Prizes for pooches include best puppy, most handsome dog and prettiest bitch.
The two day event will also see the return of Beccles Quay Rocks, with live music from the Fortunate Sons at 6pm, followed by the Stereotypes and the Catch 22.
For the first time, there will also be a new fun zone at the event, which will replace last year's fun fair, which will remain open throughout the day and event.
Are you going to the event today? Email your pictures to email@example.com